Chapter Twenty-Three

• Dedicated to Oindrila Banerjee

My Christmas present to all of my amazing fans. :') You'll see why this chapter is so special hehe. 

***

Better Than Revenge 

Chapter 23

I honestly didn’t think she was being serious at first. I laughed at her when she first asked the questions, but after ten seconds of giggling, Tori’s serene facial expression hadn’t changed. 

I stopped laughing abruptly and said, “Ohmygod, you were being serious?” 

Tori looked slightly annoyed as she nodded in reply. 

I shook my head immediately. “Of course not. How could you think I like him? Have you completely forgotten everything I’ve ever said about him for the past two years?” 

“Well, no, but…” 

“But what?” 

“I don’t know,” Tori said, shrugging. “It’s just kind of hard to believe that you still hate him.” 

“Why?” I demanded in annoyance. 

“Have you seen him?” she squeaked with wide eyes. “Soph, when I first saw him in person, I almost died. They don’t come any hotter than that. He is absolutely gorgeous! Who in their right mind wouldn’t fall, seeing him every single day?” 

“Um, that would be me,” I pointed out slowly. 

“But how?” she exclaimed, shaking her head. “I don’t get it!” 

“Because I can see past his exterior,” I answered simply. “I don’t see him as the sex god that all of you people clearly see him as. I see him as a human with faults. And trust me… there are plenty of faults.” 

“I see him as a human,” Tori quickly said, but her protests fell short. “Okay, so maybe I don’t. But come on. It’s not my fault! It’s hard to focus on his humanness when he looks like that…” 

I shrugged. “It’s not hard for me. And that’s why I haven’t fallen for him, as everyone expected me to, annoyingly enough… It’s because I don’t see him as someone who’s perfect because I know he isn’t.” 

There was short silence before Tori broke it. “Soph, what did he do to you?” she whispered with wide eyes. “I know you don’t want to talk about it, but… it had to have been awful.” 

“It was,” I replied bitterly. “And I promise I’ll tell you… but not today.” 

Tori bit her lip before nodding, “Alright. I can live with that. But going back to my question… do you think he likes you?”

I snickered, covering my mouth with my hand to stop the crazy laughter that threatened to come out. “Of course not. I don’t know why people keep thinking this. Just because we’re costars doesn’t mean we have to fall in love! Geez.” 

Tori shrugged. “A lot of costars do. It’s cute.”

“Well, it’s not happening with us,” I muttered, mostly to myself. “Besides, Christian has access to freaking Victoria’s Secret models. No, he has access to the majority of the world’s female population. He wouldn’t be interested in me, anyway.”

Her eyes widened. “So you want him to be interested?” 

I nearly slammed my head against a wall. “Ohmygod, Tori, have you been listening to nothing I’ve said? I said I’m also not interested in him!”