- 22 -

“Yeah…seven o’clock…100 A50 in Holmes Chapel…yeah…you can? Great! ...yeah……uh huh….awesome! Spread the word...See you then,” Melissa says as she presses end on her cell phone. I walk into the room thoroughly confused.

“Oh, hey,” she says when she spots me.

“Who was that?” I ask skeptically.

“Just a friend,” she waves off casually.

“What friend?”

“An old foster sibling.”

“Why were you giving them my address?”

“Oh! Sorry I guess I forgot to mention, I’m having a few people over,” she explains nonchalantly. I give her a look. “What? I haven’t been in this town in a long time. I have tons of people I need to catch up with. It’s not that big a deal.”

“How many people are we talking?” I ask slowly. Somehow I feel that Melissa is sugarcoating this.

“I don’t know. Maybe fifty, a hundred at the most,” she shrugs. My eyes nearly pop out of my head.

“A hundred people?!” I tried to keep my cool, but I almost lost it when those words left her mouth.

“Chill,” she says, hopping up to sit on the counter as she dials another number from the list.

“We eat there,” I point out. She rolls her eyes but doesn’t move her butt from the surface, causing me to roll my eyes. “Melissa, you didn’t even ask me.”

“I didn’t think I had to. You took me into your home, making it my home too for the time being.”

I was bewildered by the way she acted like this was completely alright. It wasn’t. Not at all.

“Did you at least ask Mum and Dad?” I ask. I didn’t even care if it sounded childish. I just needed a reason for her to stop this madness. She rolls her eyes again.

“Anne is visiting a friend for the night or something and Rob’s on that business trip in London. Don’t worry. I’ve got everything all figured out. You won’t have to do a thing,” she assures with a grin, hopping off the counter and brushing past me. I was left standing alone in the kitchen unable to comprehend how this happened.

Maybe it won’t be as bad as I think.

~*~*~*~

“Please don’t touch that!” I call, practically diving for one of my mother’s decorations that was about to be shattered into millions of little pieces. The culprit couldn’t hear me over the blaring music.

This party is definitely as bad as I thought it would be. There were wall to wall people. I literally could not turn around without bumping into another sweaty body. There were so many of them that I couldn’t even find Nicole or any of the boys. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, but I was just overwhelmed. I had to find Melissa to get this under control. The worst part is that I didn’t even know where to begin.