Chapter Twenty

Song of the chapter is Haunted by Taylor Swift. Best to listen to around the time Danny starts looking for Jake because he doesn't know what happened yet.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                                           Jake

I laid next to my grandmother awake as I was sure she was too. We both just stared at the ceiling not talking about what was going to happen next. My parents were gone too now. A car accident from a car that ran a red light. The sucker died too. I was too consumed in grief because this was the worst of it all. I didn’t want to think. I didn’t want to feel. I couldn’t make those things happen. My head was half in a dark world of insanity while the other stayed here in reality. So there was no escape. That was true torture. Maybe this was how Nikko felt. 

Now the pain of Andrea and Nicks deaths came back. I had no choice but to face those facts now. I couldn’t run from that.

At least I had my grandmother. We were pretty much all we had now along with my sister. How was I going to tell Jenny? My mother had no siblings but my father did have a sister. My aunt and I weren’t what I would say close. She lived out of the country somewhere in Europe. 

What was I going to tell my living friends? What was I going to tell Danny? I decided to tell them nothing. Not right now. I just wanted time with my grandmother because I couldn’t bear to leave her alone right now. She didn’t let herself break as hard as I let myself. I wished I could break again for that escape but that would put my grandmother through too much.

Grandma had already told Jenny herself. Jenny on the other side of America was going to fly back here even though she just left a week ago. In a way this made me feel better because the more family I adored around me, was better.

My dear sweet parents. They were really good parents and now I could never tell them that to their faces. I used all the power I could to summon up the energy to wipe my mind clean of the pain. Sleep came with no dreams. Even though I kept waking up every few hours only to have to fight back to sleep again.

Danny

The next day was better and worse. It was better because Daniel sobered up. It was worse because my whole body felt like it was hit by a train. It was better because my face wasn’t as bad as I thought it was minus the swollen lip. The cut would heal within the week. It was worse because Daniel was a bit more distant from me. That had to be fine for now.

I tried calling Jake to let him know not to be alarmed when he saw me at school today. Mostly I didn’t want him going after Daniel. Gentle and kind he can be but I heard about his other side when it came to people he cared about. Jenny was very willing to tell me so.

I got no answer so I just left him a message, “Its me, I just called to thank you again because things more or less are better now. Call me.”

Instead of getting a phone call however while I left Daniels house I got a text message.

Not coming 2 school 2day

Ok that was kind of not like Jake.

So I went to his house and got no answer. I waited for twenty minutes when I could have ran home to shower and change clothes. Oh I would have had to summarize to my mom what happened of course when she caught me. Disappointed I had to hurry on over to school.

When I got there of course there were questions by teachers that were only concerned. One threatened to call my mother so I dared her to do it. She backed down. I had class with one of Jake’s friends later that day, Katie. I decided to help her with her books on her way to her next class and asked if she heard from Jake. She shook her head but thanked me for my help.