25|SILVER BELLS

Allured by the scent of freshly baked Christmas cake coming from the kitchen, Ally took her lingering gaze off of the enormous Christmas tree in the parlour. Each branch was glistening with silver and blue ornaments and glowing with white fairy lights draped around it. The light from the glowing candles and scent of pine mixed with cinnamon was enough to remind Ally that it was the most wonderful time of the year.

She carefully placed down each gift wrapped with colourful bows underneath the Christmas tree and sat backwards, staring at the ceiling fan. There was music playing from the staticky stereo and Ally knew every word, though she didn't sing along. She let the scent of multiple baked goods and the Christmas turkey overwhelm her senses, enjoying the smell she had grown so custom to.

Jojo and William's new place was a little apartment in Queens, a walk away from a beautiful park which was decorated in Christmas lights.

"Do you hear that?" babbled a freshly four-year-old Adam. "Santa?"

Ally sat up from her position on the floor, stretching out her arms for her nephew. "Not yet, he comes when you're asleep."

Adam pouted. "I wanna meet him."

Jojo stuck her head out from the kitchen, around her waist, an apron stained with every possible thing imaginable. "What time are Steve and Bucky coming?"

Ally looked up at the clock, hugging Adam close to her chest. "Any time now."

"I hope the snow didn't slow them down," Jojo said, wiping her hands on the apron. "I made a lot, knowing how much those two eat."

"Eight months pregnant and you aren't moody at all," Ally teased. "Go on Adam, go see mama."

"You and William have very different opinions."

"Get back to your cooking."

The clock struck seven o'clock and the doorbell rang just as Ally finished up filling Adam's stocking. She smiled dearly as she went to answer it, immediately engulfing Steve and Bucky into her arms. Stuck in their embrace, she felt more at home than she had all year.

"Merry Christmas boys."

"Merry Christmas Ally," they said in usion, their eyes immediately taking in the glimmering Christmas tree. Being the know-it-all Steve was, he quickly added. "Technically it's Christmas Eve."

"I'm going to pretend you didn't say that," Ally closed the door behind them, making eye-contact with the stack of presents in Bucky's arms. "I can take those."

Bucky handed over the gifts while he stamped the snow off his boots, watching as Ally's hips swayed as she walked away. In some ways, Ally looked like the angel on the top of the tree, dressed in white with cheeks pinched pink. Maybe that's why he was staring so long or maybe it was because he was so in love with her, he couldn't look away.

William came to greet them, wishing them both a Merry Christmas as they made their way to the parlour. Ally sat on the ground, stacking the presents on top of each other while Adam played with a toy train.

"I really hope you two are hungry," Jojo yelled from the kitchen. "Because I made way too much."

"I'm starved," Bucky admitted. "Haven't eaten a thing since this morning."

"Blessed be," Jojo sighed in relief, carrying out a tray of potatoes to the dining room table. "Alright, it's time to eat!"

Ally grabbed Bucky's hand before he left to the table, pulling herself up. "Wait, I want to tell you something first."

Bucky looked longingly over at the food before nodding. "What is it?"

Ally looked over at everyone, already busy with where to sit and who gets the first plate. She then darted to the hallway, Bucky following close behind her. She lead him into William's study, closing the door behind him.