Dancing Steve (Rogers x reader)

When you shuffled wearily into the kitchen at 5am, still in your pajamas with messy hair and mismatched socks, you hadn't expected anyone else to be awake yet. Seeing Steve at the table looking as bright-eyed and put together as ever only made you feel that much more tired and you considered just crawling your way back to bed, but your growling stomach convinced you otherwise.

"Hey, (Y/N). We're still on for a run this morning, right?"

"You're kidding."

"It's Sunday, isn't it?" he questioned, now wondering if he maybe had the date wrong. He took a quick glance at his phone and found that he was right, it was Sunday, and you weren't about to be let off the hook that easily. "Come on, it'll wake you right up."

"It'll kill me, Steve. That's what it'll do," you groaned, slamming cupboard doors to find your coffee cup, only to turn around and see it in his hands. "Excuse me?"

"Hmm?" His eyes widened and he pulled the cup from his lips, nervously spitting the mid-sip coffee back into it out of surprise and his fear of the look in your eyes. "Oh, shoot...this is yours, isn't it? I'm sorry, please don't hurt me." He pushed the cup towards you sheepishly, quickly removing his hands as you reached out to take it, only for you to push it back.

"Well I don't want it now, you big oaf. You just spit into it. What's the matter with you?"

"You're scary in the morning."

Mumbling something unintelligible and turning away to find a new cup, you left him to shrug and take yours back, continuing to read his paper with a cautious eye on you every few minutes. His focus shifted more to you at the sound of pans banging around and utensils spilling out onto the counter top, followed by a few more mumbles and the slam of the refrigerator door.

"Whatcha making?"

"Steve," you sighed, turning to him with a spatula pointed sharply in his direction, "I'll make anything you want. Just cancel the run. Easy as that."

"Done. You know what I want."

Not realizing right away at what you had just committed yourself to, you groaned and shut your eyes when you understood just what he was asking. "Oh, come on...that omelet is the size of your head. Do you realize how much work that actually is?"

"Hey, you said anything," he shrugged once more, pulling the paper up in front of his face, but you could hear the quiet laugh behind it. He knew he had won, because there was no way that you were running today.

"Hello, children," Tony greeted, entering the room looking as awake and refreshed as Steve was, leaving you just as disgruntled as when you first walked in. "Cap, I gotta say, I never knew that you were so graceful, but I'm really impressed. Well done, man."

Steve lowered his paper slowly, looking to be at a complete loss. Your spine straightened, but hopefully not enough for him to notice, knowing exactly what Tony meant. "Thanks?" he replied, albeit confusedly. "I appreciate that?"

Tony reached out and grabbed your cup as he passed by, making his way out through the door on the other side of the room before you could catch him, laughing as he held up the coffee you had yet to enjoy. "Thanks, sweetheart, catch ya in the lab later!"

"That was weird," Steve shrugged, trying again to focus.

"Steve! Wow, man, you're like a regular Fred Astaire," Clint said as he entered with Natasha and Sam. "Well, Fred Astaire if he couldn't control his arms and if he tripped over his own feet more."

Sam stepped up behind you and reached around to grab a piece of bacon that you had just finished, despite your attempts to slap his hand away. "Yeah, Cap, looking good!"

"Okay, what the hell are you guys talking about?"

"You haven't seen it?" Natasha asked, pulling her phone from her back pocket with a wide grin. She glanced up at you, though you didn't see it, doing your best to avoid looking back at Steve. "There's a new Vine of you that (Y/N) just posted yesterday. Man, you really get into it." Her fingers danced over the screen until she found what she wanted before handing it to the Captain. "But when you put it to a great beat, it's really entertaining. I've been laughing all morning!"

"Oh my god, is that Dancing Queen?" Clint laughed, standing up to dance along. "That's perfect!"

Steve sat and watched the images flashing in front of him, each of a different time that you had caught him dancing along to something, usually with his ear buds in or a few times when he was alone in the gym. His movements were a little choppy, and sometimes he tripped over his own huge feet, but he gave it his all because he had no idea that you were there. Nat was tapping her foot along to the beat, with Sam making perfectly timed sound effects with Steve's movements; you considered that maybe he should help with the next one.

"(Y/N)?" Steve growled, lowering the phone to look up at you, but you were already long gone, leaving your work unattended and a mess behind without a care. All he could do was shake his head and take a few deep breaths, waiting for the angry red to drain from his face before getting up to find you. He handed Natasha her phone and stood, pushing his chair in slowly and carefully, clearing his throat with a smirk on his face now as he turned to sprint from the room.

"And she thought we weren't going to run this morning."