The Beginning

Edited

( third-person POV )

October 31st

Heavy panting comes from a small cabin, deep within the woods.
A new mother rests after five hours of labor, her new infant asleep on her chest.

Her husband across the room, head in his hands.
Her eyes saddened as her husband stays distant from his son, heart aching as he begins shouting.

" Heidi, IT has wings! "

His temper- his fear getting the better of him, his wife begins to cry.

"What do we do with the thing, we can't keep him"

he spits out, his words dripping with venom.
The mother- his wife Heidi, takes a shakey breathe before she speaks.

"What do you mean we can't keep him? He- he's our son! We care for him!"

As his parents argue he begins to wake, small blank feathered wings flutter.

And just as soon as they began to argue- they calm.

Caring for the strange infant is what they do, the mother more so than the father.

As the boy grows alongside his parents, they guide him on a path of good- a path of peace.

As he was taught new skills he also grew strong, his wings giving him flight which gave him his name.

Halo

His mother and father did their best to teach him but tried to keep him hidden.

They would say people wouldn't understand him, they will fear his wings- think of him as a monster for his soft pink hair and sky blue eyes.

Magic- it's not excepted so easily in this world of man and beast.

But at the age of five, he became restless, his desire for the outdoors- for freedom growing stronger.

One day- while his father was out hunting, he chose that he had had enough.
Slipping out the front door- he stayed clear of the back yard, where his mother was hanging laundry.

He stretched his arms up to the sky- wings spreading to the fullest, a smile on his pale flesh as the sun warms him up.
Just as he is ready to lift off the ground- a deep guttural growl startles him, he spins around only getting a glimpse at the animal before it is tackled.

His mother stands- shotgun in her hands pointing it at the large white wolf.
Her eyes blood red as she stares down the white wolf.

"Go inside Halo! Go, now!"

His dark wings lift him off the ground before he dives into the home, his heart pounding in his chest.
After shutting the door he slips under his bed, tucking his wings up so he isn't seen.

Blood-curdling screams echo- alongside gunfire and growls, tears begin to blur his vision as he holds back his cries.

"Momma-"

He whispers, tears now running down his round cheeks.

A silent gasp escapes as his hands cover his mouth- the large paws making the wood creek, claws scraping as a low growl escapes.
As he grows closer to the bed Halo begins to shake, but what he sees next has him stunned.

The wolf drops his mother's head right beside the bed, her red eyes open as a tear runs down her cheek.
A puddle begins to run out from under the bed, Halo quivering in his wet clothes as he stares into his mother's eyes.

"Heidi- you, you killed my mate! You've gone to far this time!"

His father transforms- a large black wolf in his place before Halo could move his father pounced on the other wolf- crushing the small bed under them.