Chapter 11 - Is It True?

A deafening silence fell over the two Gryffindors. They stood like stone, facing each other. No one said a word for what felt like an eternity.

Harry took a deep breath. "What?" he eventually croaked out. "That's not possible."

Hermione sighed in response. "It is, Harry. And it's true. I'm sorry you had to find out this way." She looked down at the floor.

Turning away from her, Harry ran a hand through his hair, beads of sweat forming on the surface of his forehead as the news sank in. There was no way. Just no way. It was impossible. He wouldn't accept it, not until he had proof.

He let out a humourless laugh, "No. I don't believe you Hermione, Draco would have told me!" He exclaimed, whipping back round to face her. Wouldn't he? But Hermione wouldn't lie to him. She was his best friend.

"He wouldn't keep this a secret from me," Harry continued, but he was more trying to convince himself than Hermione.

"Are you sure?" Hermione looked a Harry, desperately trying not to crush his last piece of happiness.

Harry wasn't sure. He had no idea about anything anymore. So was it all just a lie? Had Draco concocted their whole relationship in order to capture him just because Harry was his mate?

This couldn't happen. Harry had heard awful stories growing up about the Veela race, and he assumed the Veriae were similar. He knew that many of those who are mates of a Veela are treated awfully, made slaves to their masters or mistresses. There was no love involved between a Veela and his mate.

"Hermione, if this is true..." Harry looked her in the eyes, and Hermione realised that behind all the anger, all the denial... was fear. Harry was frightened.

"If this is true... I'll be a slave. A slave to Draco, the whole of the Malfoy family! Probably even Voldemort himself!" Harry threw up his arms to emphasise his point, trying desperately not to let panic overtake him.

"There's no free will involved in Veela-mate relationship. I have all my reasons to believe a Veriae is the exact same." Harry's voice cracked and he put his head in his hands, slumping down on the bed. He was done for.

"Harry, listen." Hermione came over to sit beside him, trying to calm him down.

"Those are Veela relationships." She continued. "It's a myth that the Veriae are the same. It's true, yes, that some involve little free-will, but it's also widely known that the Veriae are one of the most caring creatures in the magical realm. They're supposed to protect their mate, make them feel safe, love them..." Hermione trailed off.

She hoped against hope that Draco was one of these Veriae's - the good kind. From what she could tell, seeing the way he treated Harry, she was sure he was. But a little seed of doubt planted its way into her mind. She knew Harry's emotions were going haywire, but the boy had to know the implications and seriousness of this situation. The fact that Draco hadn't told him anything about this rang alarm bells in Hermione's head.

Harry scoffed. "And you suppose Draco is going to care for me and protect me? He's been lying, Hermione, this whole time!" He felt his voice hitch in his throat. "He's reeled me in, made me fall for him, in order to get what he wants: A slave!"

The idea that his and Draco's relationship had been a lie made Harry want to break down inside and cry and cry until he couldn't cry anymore. I've been made a fool of, Harry thought.

"Fallen for him?" Hermione echoed Harry's words, her eyes wide.

Harry only just registered what he'd blurted out, and stood up abruptly.