Chapter 13-Elven Afternoon Tea

For the next ten days Catalina had stayed inside the gates of the elven kingdom, her privilege of going on patrol confiscated for the time being. But even so, she occupied herself with visiting her favorite garden in the far corner of the kingdom, staying there for hours, even falling asleep there. The quiet and darkness of the weeping willow tree had brought her comfort and serenity, and when she had to leave it, it hurt her.

And this was why it confused the king and his advisor; no punishment seemed too harsh for the princess, she always seemed to find a way to enjoy her situation, and she never looked dissatisfied with her position, although every once in a while she would see the guards coming in from patrol, and she would turn away.

"I don't understand it Thranduil, you must make her punishment heavier." Veryangole ranted about the princess after he had caught her dozing off on a garden bench.

"Why should I? She misses the outdoors, and I see it when the soldiers come in the evening. There is no need to make her punishment harsher."

"But my lord, she will not learn." Veryangole said desperately, looking over the ledge of the room down to the little river. "Being too lenient with her will cause rebellion."

"Being too harsh will do just the same Veryangole. She is not a child, and she is not quite one of my subjects. She is a princess of our allies, and I must treat her like one." Thranduil came and stood next to his advisor looking over the ledge. They caught a glimpse of Feren and Catalina at the bottom.

Catalina hopped from one stone to the next while Feren followed behind her, a smile on his face. An unsteady rock underfoot wobbled and Catalina lost her balance and tumbled into the shallow stream. Feren gasped and pulled her out, but the princess merely laughed and shook herself off, flicking him with water from her fingertips. Feren smiled and took her hair and wrung it out, then took the ends of it and tapped her on the face. They laughed and went on, Catalina's clothes soaking, so they walked together in the direction of her room.

"I will give him a piece of my mind when he comes home," Veryangole growled, but the king sighed and shook his head.

"Have you never had a friend before Veryangole?" The king asked as he left his advisors side.

"Well yes, but that did not look to me like mere friendship." Veryangole frowned and followed the king, pouring himself a glass of wine, making the king roll his eyes and turn away.

"It is only friendship," the king said, a part deep inside of him hoping that that was all it was.

********

"You sent for me my lord?" Catalina looked out of the doorway to the outside, where the king stood waiting for her under a wooden gazebo overlooking a lake.

"Yes my lady, come. Sit down if you please." He pulled up a chair and she sat down and thanked him, and he sat across from her in front of a small table. A servant set down a tray of two teacups and a teapot, a small saucer of milk and a bowl of sugar.

"You drink tea my lord?" Catalina cocked her head to the side slightly.

"Yes, why?" He raised his eyes to look at her.

"Well I don't know I-"

"You thought I always drank wine?" A small smile crossed the king's face, and Catalina relaxed.

"Sort of," she lowered her head as he handed her a cup full of steaming reddish tea.

Catalina fidgeted in her seat, uncomfortably contemplating the possibility of a harder punishment, and the long silence that followed did not make it any less unbearable.

"Tell me about Asgard my lady." The king finally broke the silence and set down his cup.

"Where should I start? There is quite a lot to talk about." Catalina said, attempting to calm her still nervous heart.

"Your skills; who taught you how to fight?" The king sat back in his seat, wondering if she would say someone unknown to her taught her.

"My mother taught Loki and I how to fight. Our father taught Balder and Thor."

The king groaned inwardly, his hopes of telling her the things she didn't remember, dashed.

"My lord, did you ask me to come here to receive my punishment?" Catalina asked bluntly, unable to bear the silence.

"No my lady, I did not. I simply wanted to have you in my company for tea. It becomes somewhat tedious with only Veryangole around." He said, giving her a sympathetic look.
Catalina smiled in relief. "When did your mother begin teaching you?" He asked, finalizing his change of subject.

"When I was but a child, she began teaching me how to hold a knife. Since then I have been ever learning." Catalina took a sip from her tea, and dropped a sugar cube into it.

"Do you have any abilities known to Asgardians?"

"A few: fire, teleportation, and a couple more...." A dilemma of whether she should tell him of her scythe weighed on her mind. She shook her head and shrugged it off, and the king did not seem at all bothered by it.

"Intriguing. May I see?"

Catalina nodded slightly and lifted her fingers, a little orange flame emerging from her fingertips and forming a small swirling ball.

"Does it hurt at all?"

"No, it's warm, but other than that, I don't feel a thing." The princess stared into the flame, a genuine smile gracing her face. She let the flame disappear, and she put her hand down.

"You have beautiful talents my lady." The king smiled at her, his blue eyes soft.

"Thank you my lord." Catalina smiled and turned her eyes downward into her tea. She began thinking of her mother, wondering if people back home missed her. She smiled and looked to the outside at the trees and the lake. It sparkled in the sunlight as if diamonds were dancing on the surface.

"My lord?" A servant poked his head around the corner, his face full of distress. "We ask for your assistance in the throne room, Veryangole has an urgent matter that needs immediate attention."

"Tell him I will be there in ten minutes." The king sighed and let another servant take the tray and teacups and empty teapot away. "I apologize for the short time my lady, I promise next time there will be no interruptions." He said as he stood up.

"It is alright. I am used to it since my father is a king. I am not bothered by it My Lord." Catalina stood up and followed him out.

"I will see you at dinner," the king nodded to her and left her, and Catalina headed back to her room.

She frowned, wondering why he asked so many questions. Usually kings preferred to talk about themselves or their kingdoms. This one wanted to know about her. She thought it odd that he wanted to know so much, but at the same time, it made her feel good. He made her feel special. Catalina shook her head; Special? Was that really how she felt? She shrugged it off and kept walking.

I think I like him.