Prologue

Run!

I keep running, trying to escape the wolves that are running after me.

Run! Keep running and don't stop! My wolf tells me.

I ran as fast as I could. I don't want to die yet.

My name is Sam, short for Samantha and I'm 17 years old. I ran away from my abusive pack and from the people who wanted to hurt me.

It all started when my parents and I were on our way to the theater to see the movie that I wanted to see. I was seven at that time and I really wanted to see this movie. I begged and begged my parents until they finally let me see the movie.

My dad parked the car near the trees because there were a lot of cars in the parking lot, so my dad decided to park the car near the trees by the entrance of the forest. We got out of the car and were on our way to the theater when suddenly, both of my parents tensed. My mom turned to me and told me to run as far as I possibly can.

"Run, Sam, and don't look back. Go back to the pack!" My mom told me.

"Why mommy? I don't want to leave you and daddy! I want to see the movie with you." My 7-year-old self replied confused

"No Sam, just run and never look back," my mom shouted.

"I don't want to leave you mommy", I said getting scared.

"Just run!" both of my parents shouted this time.

I was about to run when suddenly, four big wolves jumped at my parents. I saw the rogues kill my parents right in front of me. I was crying. I didn't know what to do. I was about to run when suddenly, I was grabbed from behind. I saw a man holding my shirt, he lifted me up to his face and gave me an evil grin.

"Now kid, run along before I change my mind and kill you right here on this spot," the man said menacingly. I whimpered and he gave me a disgusted look, before tossing me to the ground beside my dead parents. The man and the other wolves ran back to the forest and disappeared.

I turned to my parents and tried to wake them up.

"Mommy, daddy please wake up. We have to see the movie remember?" I tried shaking them awake, but they didn't wake up. They were both covered in blood. I looked at my hands and saw their blood on my hands. I cried when my parents wouldn't wake up.

"Sam!" I heard a voice say.

I turned around and saw a familiar face from my pack. I cried and tried to tell him what happened when he suddenly moved towards me and saw my dead parents. He gasped and looked at the blood in my hands. He gave me a cold glare, enough to make me shiver in fear.

"What did you do?" the man asked venomously.

"Ro-rogues attacked m-my parents on o-our way to the theater," I replied sobbing.

"Tch. As if I would believe that story. You got blood on your hands. That's enough evidence for me," the man said to me.

"N-no! I would never do that to my parents, please you have to believe me," I begged.

"Sorry but I'm not believing you anytime soon," the man spat at me before picking me up and taking me back to the pack. 

They all thought that I shifted early and killed my parents because I lost control of my wolf. They didn't believe me when I said that rogues attacked my parents. My parents were important people in the pack seeing as my father was the third in command and the alpha's friend.

From that day on, the pack started abusing me, calling me names, hitting me, making me feel scared and useless for 10 whole years.

My brothers didn't believe me when I said that our parents were killed by rogues. They started abusing me along with the pack. But the worse thing that they did to me left permanent scars on my back and in my heart. They were drunk when they started whipping me. I tried to calm them down but it didn't work and instead started whipping me harder, leaving permanent scars. 

My wolf tried to heal the wounds, but she was too weak, she kept saying encouraging words to me, telling me that she will always be with me. I tried to endure all the beatings until one day, I couldn't take it anymore and run away from my pack. The pack found out that I ran away and were outraged. The alpha sent wolves after me to bring me back to the pack.

I continued to run as fast as I can, trying to lose the wolves that are chasing me.

After a few more hours of running, I finally lost them. I leaned against a tree, exhausted from all the running. I stayed in my wolf form and fell asleep, hoping that someone would help me.