Chapter 29

"Amara." A deep husky voice called nearly making me jump as I sat in the quiet library the only sounds being the occasional flip of a page or the even breathing of little Adrian who slept peacefully in my lap.
"Lo-" he starts coming into view interrupted by my shushing as I point at the little bundle of curls and chubby cheeks that slept in my lap.

I carefully picked Adrian up setting him softly back onto the large chair we had been cuddled up in. I turned to look at Alaricus who watched us with soft honey eyes a gentle smile quirking up his plump red lips. Pointing out the door I tiptoed behind Alaricus who walked quietly as he always did out the large doors.

"I just wanted to tell you that it's confirmed, I'm leaving tomorrow morning." He says turning to face me, his large hand coming up to cup my cheek, his rough thumb rubbing over my cheek softly. I tried to keep my face straight not wanting him to see that I was upset to see him go.

"When will you be back?" I ask hoping for it to sound casual but my voice sounds sad even to my own ears.
"A week angel." He says softly, and I bite the inside of my lip to prevent myself from looking like a recently vaccinated puppy.
"I won't go if you don't want me to." He says his thumb rubbing over my bottom lip softly.
"No you need to go, you've deferred that meeting as long as possible." I say avoiding looking into his honey eyes afraid I would beg him to stay so that I don't feel lonely in the empty palace the way I always do when he leaves.

"If it's that important they can come here I'm no use away from you anyway, I keep thinking about you when I'm away from you, they'd be better off coming here." He says.
"It's a land dividing problem Alaricus I think it'd be best if you went to see yourself to see which of both packs are most deserving." I say softly fiddling with the button on his black blazer.
"Come with me." He asks softly tucking a stray strand of hair away from my face placing it safely behind my ear.
"I'll only distract you." I say.
"Not at all." He says but sadly we both knew that wasn't true.

"I'm gonna take Adrian back to Victoria, I'll meet you in your room." I say and he looks like he's about to protest but before he can I step away from him going back in to see a barely awake Adrian looking around rubbing his half closed blue eyes a small yawn slipping out through soft parted pink lips forming a perfect circle, his chubby cheeks flushed from sleep, curls in disarray. I walk over to him scooping him up into my arms, and he cuddles closer, resting his little head sleepily on my shoulder.
"Let's get you to bed monkey." I say and he giggles softly, he had a habit of latching onto people tightly with his arms and legs, and was proud of it.

"I miss falling asleep in momma's arms." Adrian mumbled sleepily pouting at me while rubbing his eyes with the back of his little hand. Since Victoria had become pregnant she wasn't picking up Adrian making the little munchkin even more cuddly then usual.

"Don't you miss your parents Mari?" Adrian asked lifting his little head off my shoulder to look at me.
"All the time baby." I said softly and he frowned his little brows creasing lips jutting out.
"Then go see them." He said too tired to keep his own head upright, he rested his chubby cheek on my shoulder nearly falling back asleep on contact.
"It's not that e-" I start to absolutely no one in particular, but I was wrong, maybe it was.

Alaricus was going to be away for a week, I could spend that week with my parents, he was gonna be away from me anyway, my location wouldn't matter.

The door to Frank's room swings open revealing a tired looking Victoria in a long floral nightgown followed by her husband who held a jar of peanut butter in his hand a large spoon placed in the open jar. I quickly handed Adrian to Frank startling his very sleepy pregnant wife. I kissed Victoria's cheek quickly mumbling quick good nights to the sweet little family as they stared wide eyed at my manic behaviour, but in my haste to speak to Alaricus formalities didn't matter.