28|COLD HEARTS

In the early morning, Ally woke up feeling rather stiff about her mission today. After telling herself countless times to get up and prepare, she couldn't bring herself to do so. Maybe it was the Alchemist's sixth sense or maybe it was just her head playing tricks. Tiredly, she geared up into her suit, balancing her sword in her left hand as she finished applying the black paint around her eyes.

She exhaled with relief when she finally made it out of the tent and stepped outside. The air felt fresh and new, a cold breeze caressing her skin. She watched as ribbons of golden sunlight spilled into the forest. The pine trees were a black silhouette against the gold sky. Ahead of the brilliant sunrise were more snow clouds and she knew soon enough, the Alps would be dark again.

She met her fellow companions near the beginning of the mountain, thankful the vibranium of her suit was keeping her warm. Instead of his olive military suit, Bucky wore the blue jacket Stark had made for the Howling Commandos. He looked dashing, a real Prince Charming.

Steve counted everyone before they began their long hike up the mountain, in hopes of finding the train tracks. The trees eventually disappeared and there was nothing but rocks and snow. If there was a path, Ally couldn't see it. The air had that smell of a woodland yet the trees had disappeared. It was beginning to get dark for this time of day, so the snow clouds from earlier must be ready to burst.

Ally came to a lurch and knelt down, gazing upon the metal train tracks heading South. With a proud grin, she waved her hand frantically to get everyone's attention. "I found it!"

Jim came up from behind, looking down at his map and then back at the train tracks. "That's it."

Dum Dum and Falsworth started unpacking their bags while Gabe started to set up a radio, in hopes of interfering with the trains radio waves. "We'll create a zip-line," Falsworth explain. "It won't be pretty but it will get the job done."

"How long?" Steve questioned.

"Hopefully before the train comes," Falsworth spoke unsurely. "I best get to it then."

Bucky and Ally came to the conclusion that all they could do was wait now. As the time continued to draw on, the chilling winter heat became close to unbearable. Ally ran a hand through her hair, cold to the touch. To her best ability, she tried her best to think of something warm, like the summer days at Coney Island or the dinners when it was too hot to eat inside. A sigh escaped her lips, how could have her life taken such a twist? She wasn't expecting any of this to happen, especially becoming inhuman. Not that she was complaining, she had Bucky and Steve.

"Quaker got me tickets to a Broadway show," she suddenly spoke up, remembering the kind gift from Christmas. "Him and I are going to see it."

Bucky smiled faintly, chilled to the bone. "Remember when I said someone should put you on Broadway? I still mean it."

"I love you very much Sarge, but I don't think I can do that now," she muttered. "All I'm good for is swinging a sword around like I'm actually important."

"I love you too doll but how many HYDRA bases have you tracked down?" Bucky questioned. "How many people have you saved? You and Steve? You guys are changing the world."

"I guess you have a point," she admitted, that sense of hope fueling her heart. "Maybe when we get home–"

"Guys, come take a look," Steve waved them up to the cliff of the mountain, pointing at the zip-line. "What do you think?"

"Remember when I made you ride the cyclone at Coney Island?" Bucky questioned.

Steve looked uncomfortably at the long string of wire. "Yeah, and I threw up?"