Chapter 7

'Careful with that, please.' Sem smirked at the crew member holding one of her bags, adjusted the white gloves she wore in turn at the wrist, then her sunglasses. Her scarf, which she'd wrapped around her blonde tresses, whipped in the ocean breeze from her neck, and John gaped. The cussing wild woman had vanished in a façade of elegance.

He shook his head as he stepped closer and stood beside her on the harbour. 'What's with the getup Sem?'

She turned her face the other way, ostensibly to survey the loading of her luggage onto Her Majesty's Crystal Sailor, their cruise ship. At least that's what they'd told Mam and Dad. 'Just filling a role, boyfie.'

He groaned at the word, and Sem's smile spread wide enough to reveal a glimmer of gold. 'Besides, the man meeting us in Reddingmuirhead thinks I'm a representative from the Yorkshire Police Youth Division.'

'Shh not so loud.' John leaned closer to her. 'Charlie's still watching us.' Behind them and to their left, Charlie stood gaping at the larger than life ships docked in the dark waters, but John noticed her eyes flitting to them every now and then. Of all his family, Charlie was most suspicious of his and Sem's relationship. He wasn't sure exactly what she thought, but he often found her snooping and making snide remarks.

Inwardly John cringed, but he slowly reached his arm around Sem's shoulders and pulled her close. There. The picture of happiness. A happy couple off on a cruise.

'She doesn't suspect shit, John. Trust me. Nobody suspects people of fucking time travel.'

That's the Sem he knew. She slipped her hand around his waist and pulled him closer. Up close he noticed her eyes still sparkled with mischief, and her breath smelled slightly of Guinness and fun. 'Glad to see you haven't gone off your rockers completely Sem. Or' —he shrugged— 'y'know, that you're still the same kind of crazy.'

'We haven't got much time. Natasha is meeting us two blocks away in ten fucking minutes.'

'I know, I know, but the whole point is for them to see us off, okay?' John glanced over his shoulder at his family and smiled acquiescently. 'I think it's working.'

Sem shrugged. Another crewman lugged a particularly heavy red bag up the walkway, sweat beading his forehead, and Sem's crazy smile stretched a bit further.

'And what's with all the bags?'

She kept smiling like she knew something.

'You haven't owned that much shit in centuries, Sem.'

'Had to give them a show of it,' she said. 'Besides, now they think I'm a real girl.' Her eyes flicked to his. 'Wanna know what's in 'em?'

'I suppose clothes would be wrong...'

'Mhmm.'

'Bricks?' John said, watching the poor sweating seaman tug at the bag. His foot slipped, he steadied himself, and with another big heave rolled the bag over the last notch in the walkway. It clanked.

'I'm not cruel, John. It isn't bricks.'

'Three hundred kilos of makeup.'

'Nope.'

'I give up.'

'It's just random shit from the warehouse. Pipes and rubble and shit.' Sem snorted a laugh, and John looked horrified. No wonder the man was struggling so much. 'Now let's get this fucking shit-show over with. That bitch succubus isn't known for patience.'

She turned and strolled to his family, comfortable in sharp, white high heels. 'Mr Finnie, Mrs Finnie, Charlotte.' Sem mussed Charlie's hair and Charlie shrieked. 'Thanks for the send-off. Promise we'll behave.' Her expression said the opposite, and Dad sighed.