Prologue.

Scarlett Francis

I have never felt so vulnerable...

You could kill me today and I would never be able to do anything to protect myself or pull the trigger to hurt you back. For the first time as a treacherous tear rolled down my eye, I looked down with shame. Regret tingled my nose, and my cheeks heated, my free palm clenched and fisted. I shook. I could feel my chest heaving from the shortness of breath.

I have always had problems with people leaving...

That's why I always kept my distance. I never got attached and left quickly when the threat lurked. But somehow, when you looked at me that summer night. That fear was gone. I was ready for whatever pain and heartache waited for me after this ends. Deep down in my heart, I was crying, screaming, scratching, begging for you to prove me wrong, begging for you to stay. Please don't leave. Please don't be another memory. Please don't hurt me...

And then months passed by, and my happiness and I were over the moon. Until today when you proved me wrong and now I can't breathe.

I lowered my gun because I could never kill you. You are the breath in me. And suddenly...

I can't breathe...

---

Rage Dìaz

"There is no going back from here, Scarlett," I whispered, letting her know the seriousness of this situation. Girls like her don't fuck with men like me and she had to know what she was getting into. She had to stop me now before it got out of hand. It hurt me the wrong way just thinking about this. But I needed to know she wouldn't regret this decision. Messing with someone like me always has its consequences. From here on lord only knows what kind of troubles my life would put us through. She is not ready for it and I honestly don't know where to start if I need to protect her from everything that waits for me outside. I might somehow protect her from them but what I can't watch her from is me, my fucked up life and my need to control everything and anything. I am a psychopath and I needed her to see me in my element now or we might lose what little sanity we both have intact.

You let out a shaky breath and look down unable to see me in the eye.

"I am not a nice man and once those lips touch mine, there is no going back. I won't stop. No matter what happens from here. I am not letting you go. Tonight.. you are mine, Scar. This won't end well for either of us." I whisper solemnly, my voice staggers and I can't control the emotions overwhelming me right now.

My jaw ticks and my muscles tightened at my own promise, I felt like a snake ready to uncoil and attack, just waiting for a movement.

You let out an anxious breath and finally looked up at me. Nervously gulping, your mouth opens and then slowly closes. You are trying your best to make a decision here. You know how easily this affects us in either the worst ways possible or the best.

With every breath I took, my body shook, I was buzzing with anxiety, and I was afraid of what would happen if you said no. Would I step back? Or would I drag you out of this place, kicking and screaming?

When you turned your face to bring your lips close to mine, the disbelief knocked the breath out of me. Your lips brushed mine. My whole body shook with a feeling so foreign that I had forgotten what true happiness felt like until those soft lips touched mine.

"There is no going back," You whispered.

In an instant, I pushed you to the counter and found your lips hungrily. My teeth bit into your lower lip as I devoured you.

You didn't get enough time to register, and a choked breath leaves out of your mouth in shock.

"Rage" you choked out my name, fisting my shirt into your shaking palms.

From that very first night, the doom had settled deep into my heart. I knew it. I had fallen in love with you. And as a single stray tear rolled down my eyes. I felt that doom.

What I didn't realise was... my heart wasn't safe with you...