Family Fighters.

The music was blasting in my ears as I walked for a few seconds. I needed the music. If it wasn't for it, then there would have been no way I would have been at the gym. Yeah, it was primarily old people that chit chatted about their kid's wedding or the how they hated their neighbors. I didn't care about them and didn't want to hear them as I exercised.

Speeding up the treadmill, I ran and fast. I felt my legs weep in fatigue but that didn't make me stop. My mind willed them to keep moving faster against the rolling belt that was underneath me. Mostly due to the music that made me almost break out into total dance mode and my brain wouldn't allow sleep with the notes blasting through my ears.

Faster. That was on my mind. To go faster, and make the mile as fast as I could. There was no way the granny next to me was going to beat me.

I never really tried to pay attention to the people around me. But something caught my eye. Hair, red hair. The curls bounced slightly but they were still restrained to the back of the person who wore them.

"Hey!" Melody tried to speak over my music. My thumb pressed the volume button on my phone to make it louder. I didn't want to talk, mostly because I didn't know her and that she went to school. Though I did break the rule and talk to Thorin but that was because I was forced to. It didn't help that he knew my name.

There was a tapping on my shoulder. No, it wasn't the long strand that held the wires to my headphones knocking themselves against me as I continued to sweat my ass off. It was the tapping of Melody's fake black nails. They were long and black, looking like talons that could pierce through your chest to get to your heart.

I had to let out a few short breaths as the speed of the treadmill went down to a normal walking pace. It would have been hard to make out anything with the puffy breathing I had. My breathing slowed down to the point where I could actually communicate.

Melody waved with a cheeky smile. "How are ya?"

"I'm okay," I said slowly. Again, I didn't like to break my rule. "how are you?"

"Great!" She said excitingly. "I'm so glad I found this gym." Her blue eyes rolled with exaggeration. "The one in town had too many guys." She swatted at the air as I cringed.

That was the whole point of me going to that gym. No one that I saw at school went there to judge me. I'm not saying that they would go full out teen movie on me where they would push me in the locker room, hell I'm nowhere near a locker room at that school. But is there still a risk? Yes. And I'm not going to take it.

"Do you want to be gym buddies?" Melody broke the silence between us.

The shoelace that was supposed to help me with my shoes decided to untangle themselves and flung themselves underneath my shoes. I think they were so shocked at Mel's question that they were like "nope, gotta die" and proceeded to try and shorten my life.

I picked up my feet, balancing myself at the slow paced treadmill. There was a smile on Mel's face before she grabbed my hand and proceeded to despite her skinny body, pull me into the weights area of the gym. Her skin was cold when her hand wrapped itself around my wrist despite her hauling my ass.

"Do you want to go first?" She said, putting on the boxing gloves the gym had provided. I shook my head, nearly giving myself whiplash. There was no way in hell I was going first, I didn't fight, not even verbal. Well besides with my mom.

"No thanks."

She shook her head at the punching bag before proceeding to punch it like she was the fucking hulk. A deep breath came out of her as she went back at it again, swinging a hard left and then right and back at left again. Each time, the bag thudded in pain as the Irish girl sweated over it. There was a vein in her neck, it popped like a vampire's dream while she unleashed hell onto her nonliving opponent.