Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Elle

       “You’re what?” I asked, not hearing what he just said due to the bad reception.

       “Coming over? Is there a problem?” Jake asked, concerned.

       “No, absolutely not! Everything’s fine,” I said, readjusting my grip on the phone, “I just didn’t hear you.”

     “Oh, okay. So, tomorrow night you’re coming over to a party at my dorm,” he said, lacking the questioning aspect in his voice. 

       “Am I?”

       “Yeah, and if your roommates want to come, let them.”

       “Okay.”

       “So meet you at Starbucks?”

       “Yeah, totally.”

       “Okay, bye Elle,” he said. I could practically hear the smile in his voice. I grinned to myself as the thought of seeing Jake flowed into my mind.

       “What’s happening?” Nick asked, startling me.

       “Where’d you come from? And I’m meeting Jake for coffee.” I saw his entire frame tense up at the mention of Jake. Serves him right.

       “Have fun,” he said, not meaning a bit of it.

       “Thank you, we will,” I said, not wanting to confront him about his insincerity.

       “Will you Elle?” he asked, placing his arm around me as I sat in my bed. I shrugged it off, and got up.

       “I will Nick,” I affirmed. “Besides, this will give you and John some nice one on one bonding time together!”

       “Psh. Yeah right! Don’t be surprised if when you come back there’s a dead body on the floor, and the words ‘I told you so’ painted on the wall with his blood,” he threatened falsely. He would never do something like that. 

       “So violent!” I said, shivering as I made my way over to my closet.

     John and Nick were never too fond of each other, one might bring up the word “Hatred” when talking about the two’s relationship. Their personalities don’t really blend too well together. It’s like mixing oil with water. I think it also might be an unspoken rivalry between the two. I don’t know. Nick was always more concerned with sports than John, and John was always more passionate about schoolwork.

       “Well, when it comes to John how can I not be?” he said, moving off the bed towards me.

       “Of course,” I mocked.

       “Where’re you going?”

       “To talk to Jake. Didn’t I just tell you?” I rolled my eyes.

       “Oh, right... So, you gonna tell him about me?”

       “Probably,” I sighed. Lies are no way to build a relationship. Keeping Nick’s pressence in my life  a secret from Jake would be absolutely idiotic, considering how I’ve seen other relationships backfire because of one simple slip.

       “How are you planning on doing that? Saying, ‘I know this really sexy guy, who I’m totally in love with, and he’s my roommate. Oh and did mention I’m dumping you?’” 

      “Uh... I’m not doing that. Who said I even want to get back together with you?” I said in a disgusted tone, as I sifted through the endless hangers in search of the perfect outfit.