Ride Me Like A Cowboy on a Bareback Horse

Chapter 32: Ride Me Like A Cowboy On A Bareback Horse

((Playlist: TB Saga by Tyler Joseph))

Lys glanced over at Sophie as she drove. "So you broke up with him?"

Sophie nodded, staring out of the window. Rain sprinkled across the windshield in the dark.

"Geez, that sucks. I'm sorry." Lys turned back to the road. "Does that mean you're not in the band anymore?"

Sophie furrowed her brow thoughtfully. "I hadn't thought of that. I guess I'm not."

Lys let out a slow, steady breath. "Well, this is a mess."

"Thank you for your optimism."

The car was quiet for a moment. Lys said, "you know what will make you feel better?"

Sophie raised an eyebrow, unamused. "What?"

"Taco Bell."

Sophie couldn't help but smile at that. Lys continued with a smirk, "there's no better way to deal with teenage angst than drowning it in burritos, cinnamon twists, and Baja Blast."

"Yeah, that's true," Sophie laughed, wiping away her tears with the back of her hand.

"Besides, after the disaster that was the talent show, I could use a box of tacos," Lys added. "There are no puns to explain how you can't finish the show because there are broken pieces of drum and chair all over the place, and a gaping hole in the stage from the rod."

Sophie looked up at her. "So I'm assuming there's no winner?"

"Nah, that money was donated. It has to go somewhere. They'll probably give it to the mock trial team," she shrugged. "But who knows, they might give it to your band. You did almost die, after all."

"Yeah." Sophie was still feeling shocked from everything that had happened in the past few hours.

Lys suddenly pulled over on the side of the road. Sophie frowned. "What are you-?"

"Oh my God, you almost died," Lys cried. In one swift move, she unbuckled her belt and yanked Sophie towards her, and locked her in a rib-crushing hug.

"You're my best friend, and you almost died, and I don't know how I could've handled that, and that was so scary," Lys rambled hysterically.

"Aw, Lys." Sophie hugged her back. For a long moment, the girls clung to each other, a lonely pillar of stability against the chaos of the night.

They were also sobbing, but neither would later admit it.

Once they pulled themselves together, Lys got back on the road and drove them to Taco Bell. Thankfully, at this time of night, the parking lot was relatively empty. Lys pulled into a spot.

Sophie roused herself enough to say: "Lys, isn't this the handicapped spot?"

"Is it?" Lys peered at the wheelchair sign in front of them. "Oh, I guess it is."

They sat there for a minute. Sophie gave her a sideways glance. "Aren't you going to move?"

"Maybe. Then again, we are handicapped-" she smiled grimly, "-by sadness."

Sophie gave her a smirk for trying. "I don't think they'll accept that when they tow your car."

"Fine, we'll move."

When they walked in, the place was practically deserted - except for a few stoners at a table toward the back, apparently trying to smoke a straw wrapper. "What do you want?" Lys asked.