35| Scars and Dark Marks

"It's as dark as mine," Malfoy said, peering at my forearm. "I'm sure it's hurting."

"When Death Eaters are close," I said, cringing as a shock of pain went through it. Malfoy rolled his eyes. "You bring here is ripping my arm in half."

"You may be in denial, but you're one too now, you know."

"I'm what?"

Malfoy let out an irritated sigh. "A Death Eater, you dimwit."

"Can you please leave before I get caught? Please, Draco!"

"What are you so afraid of? Your 'Golden Trio' won't accept you?" Draco scoffed, his silver eyes glinting in the moonlight. When I didn't reply, the silver eyes widened. "Are you really?" Draco let out a laugh, throwing his head back. I leapt forward, clapping my hand over his mouth, the other on the back of his neck to keep him in place.

"No need for your sarcastic laughter here, Malfoy," I sneered. His breath was warm on my hand. Malfoy pulled away from my grip, wiping his mouth on the back of his arm.

"Now, there's the woman-of-Steele I loathe." His lip curled.

"Woman of Steele?" I snickered. "Please, don't ever say things like that again. And what do you mean by that?"

"You never cared about what anyone thought of you. Not that I care at all, but, why do you change for them?"

"You're the one who trapped me into becoming a . . . a . . ." I lowered my voice, "Death Eater. I don't think you're in the position to be talking about change."

"Listen, Elvira. The 'Trio' . . . they're not as great as you think, you understand? Do you know how many people have died for . . . Potter?" Again, he wrinkled his nose in disgust. "To save the Boy Who Lived, too many have died. Do you want to die for him too, Steele?"

"I will die for all those like me," I said, narrowing my eyes and leaning towards him. A breeze riffled through my clothes, goosebumps forming on my arms. I could see the cloud of cold air forming from his mouth as he breathed, warm versus cold. His black suit would've helped him blend into the dark if it weren't for his pale, pale skin and his white-blond hair.

"Traitors? Spies?"

"Wizards and witches," I said softly, but with enough power. "Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, and Gryffindor. Purebloods, mud bloods and half-bloods."

"You know, they don't deserve it." He was talking about Harry.

"You know, they've saved your life more times than you can count."

Draco gritted his teeth, only because he knew I was right.

"Where's my wand?"

"Accio wand." My unicorn core wand flew into his hand, his long fingers wrapping around it.

I snatched it from his grip, turning around to walk away. I looked over my shoulder.

"Malfoy, please do me a favor," I said to him, pulling down my sleeve.

"Why would I do you any favors?" he scowled.

"Don't tell the Dark Lord where we are. Please."

His features softened, only a bit. "Whatever. I'm sure he already knows."

But I knew he didn't. Draco was probably following me, tracking my every move. Voldemort didn't know I was here. No one did, except Malfoy.

I put my hand on the doorknob, pushing it open. As I shut it behind me, Malfoy still stood there, his eyes fixated on me.

"I won't tell," he said, right before the door clicked shut behind me. And when I peered through the peephole, he was gone.

⚡ ⚡ ⚡

Harry's scar was hurting, and so was my arm. Of course, I had to hide it, but Harry, on the other hand, made it very, very clear. It wasn't his fault . . . I knew how he felt. I'd experience migraines before.

We sat on the chairs across from each other, Hermione watching Harry warily.

"I need to know if my family is safe, Harry. Can't you just peer inside his head and see if their fine?"

"No, Ron," Hermione scowled. "Do you know how long it too Harry to master Occlumency? He can't just let go now."

"All I know is that Voldemort's . . . Angry. And his rage . . . I feel it. As if I'm the angry one."

"So the connection is opening back up again?" I asked, dreading his reply.

"Now, there's the woman-of-Steele I loathe." Malfoy's words came back, and even though they were rude and condescending, he was right.

Where was the Elvira Steele that argued one on one with five Gryffindors, the one who put up with all that hate from Slytherins. The one who followed Malfoy around until he was finally forced to give her answers.

Who was I? I could hardly recognize myself. I was a Death Eater, for goodness sakes! What was I even doing here?

I wanted to punch Harry. I wanted to hit all three of them because Draco was right. What was so special about them? Why them? Hermione was smart, yes, but so was . . . well, I. Ron was Ron, and Harry . . . Harry was just a boy who's mother saved his life.

So many people died for The Boy Who Lived.

Malfoy was incorrigible, self-obsessed and just plain rude.

But he was right about a lot of things.

"It seems like it," Hermione answered my question, causing me to come back from my thoughts and rejoin the meeting.

Suddenly, a blue light formed in the middle of the room-a patronus in the shape of a weasel.

"It's from Dad," Ron said, a dark shadow looming over him.

"The family is safe. Don't come out of hiding. We're all completely fine."

Ron sat back, relief written all over his face. Harry too, who must've been thinking about Ginny.

"So. They're okay."

"They are," Hermione said, nodding, running a hand through her hair. "That's a relief."

Harry winced, getting to his feet. "I'll . . . I'll be in the bathroom. You guys look around for . . . For anything."

"It's seems like he's always in that bathroom," Hermione frowned when he was out of earshot.

"It's his scar," I said, getting to my feet. "It's obvious how much pain it's giving him." I pulled my left sleeve lower. "I'm hungry. Do you all want anything to eat?"

"The kitchen is bare," Ron groaned, patting his stomach. As if on cue, his stomach rumbled.

"I'll go grab something."

"You don't have to do that," Hermione got up as well.

"Well, we can't be cooped up in the house forever, can we? It's fine, I don't mind."

She nodded.

"Hermione, cast a shield charm on her," Ron said, tiredly. "We can't have her kidnapped by Vol-"

"You-Know-Who," I corrected.

"Yeah, him," Ron continued, "while she's getting us something to eat."

"Cave inimicum," Hermione said, pointing her wand at me. There was no light, just a soft haze around me.

"Good luck."

"Thanks."

A heavy, stressful silence hung in the air. That was my cue to leave.