CHAPTER TEN: NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

Aidan was having a hard time dealing with his conscience. After several dives, he felt drained of energy but his mind was occupied with thoughts of Kate. And he wanted some time to think. Thank God the island was the perfect sanctuary for such situations; it was very peaceful and refreshing which gave him ample time to face the questions flowing in his mind. How could he have behaved in such a wanton way? What would Kate think of him? That he was hitting on her even if she was getting married to someone else?

Irrespective of how the fiancé was, Aidan knew damned well it was not fair to cheat on him like that. What kind of man that made him? A bastard? And Jennifer? She believed that there was a chance they might come together again. Hell, what a mess!

Not feeling very proud of himself, he made up his mind to make it clear to Jennifer and explain to her that he did not love her anymore. But what would he say? That he loved Kate instead. He was not sounding credible even to himself. Damn he was in such a bad position.

But he had to clear the air with Jennifer before thinking what to do about Kate. It was better if he talked to Jen when they were away from the house so that they could avoid any dramatic scenes. He sincerely hoped it was not going to turn out ugly but from what he had gathered even if Jennifer seemed to be wary of him, she was treating him like a friend and nothing more.

When he joined the others, he immediately saw something was wrong with Kate. Her eyes were unfocused and her face had lost all its color. Undecided, he wondered whether he should talk to her first; she must be worried about his momentary relapse and must want to confront him soon. But before that, he wanted a word with Jennifer first. He had to at least handle of the understanding with Jennifer; he didn't want to end being a two-timing bastard.

"Jen, can I have a word, please?" he said and immediately the precarious peace that had settled within the group broke. Tension filled the atmosphere as both Ryce and Kate stared at him looking as if their heads would snap.

Despite the apprehensive look Jennifer was throwing his way, she followed him without a word. When they reached a secluded place where they could talk privately, he took her hand and she seemed to hesitate before letting her hand rest in the palm of his hand.

"Jen..." he began and watched their enclosed hands and he could feel her nervousness by the erratic beating of her pulse.

"Aidan, please I need to tell you something first," she stopped him biting her lower lips, a habit she had when she had difficulty expressing herself.

"No, let me go first. Please," he insisted squeezing her hand. It was important he told her everything he had just realized. And no matter how painful, he had to get it out of his system. And then he would know how Jen felt about him. If she still loved him, he would deal with the situation somehow. But it was easier said than done.

"Jen, I...I... look," he stammered not knowing how to get the words out feeling like suddenly there was cotton in his mouth.

"Would it help if I go first?" she suggested gently and he nodded filled with despair as he did not want to hurt his dearest friend.

"Me and you was such a mistake. I don't think I ever loved you or you ever loved me. What happened between us was..."

Before she could say a word, Aidan hugged her and she stopped talking her words frozen on her lips. "Oh, Jen! I was not very sure how to break that news to you."

Jennifer drew back and looked at him in the eyes and then her face holding a puzzled expression as if she had not been expecting him to agree with her. "You agree with me?" she queried amazed and when Aidan nodded, the puzzled expression transformed into a grin.