020

Twenty | Elijah

Damon, Stefan and I were standing by the front door of the Gilbert house. I hadn't had a chance to think about the memories Klaus had brought back or a chance to talk to Stefan about him killing my parents. Everything had happened way too fast.

Right now, we were all in funeral clothes and I was holding a rose.

Not only had Jenna died, but so had John. He had somehow tied his life span to Elena's, so his death revived her after the ritual.

"We all set?" Stefan asked his brother.

"Yeah. Plenty of room with the Gilbert family plot and I compelled two of the grave diggers to do the dirty work." Damon replied, "How's she doing?"

"She lost the only parents she had." Stefan sighed, "She's in shock."

"This is all my fault." I stressed, "If I had switched places wi -- "

Damon held either side of my head softly in his hands, "This isn't your fault, Cassie. It's Klaus'."

He gently placed a kiss to my forehead. I sighed looking down to the rose, "I can't go to the funeral."

"Jenna liked you, Cassie. Don't you want to say goodbye?" Stefan questioned.

"This is for Elena and Jeremy, not me. I could have saved her life." I looked down at the rose and extended my arm towards Damon, "Please lay this on her grave."

Damon took the rose, "Of course."

I glanced at them both, sighing, "I'll see you later."

▂▂▂▂

February, 2005

I walked into a bar in New Orleans, I expected it to be quiet but it was pretty full. I made my way towards the bar and waited for the bartender. He arrived, "What can I get you?"

"Bourbon please." I replied and watched him walk away to go get it.

A few seconds later he came back with the drink and I paid. I picked up the glass and turned to walk away, as I did I bumped into someone and my drink flew over them.

"Oh my God. I am so sorry." I apologised to the blonde girl I had just drenched in bourbon.

"It's fine. Honestly." She said. I grabbed some tissues that were in a stack at the side of the bar.

I handed her the napkins, "Here."

"Thank you." She replied, wiping herself down with the tissues.

"Let me buy you a drink to apologise. This time I won't spill it over you." I joked making her laugh.

She held out her hand with a smile, "I'm Jules."

I shook her hand, returning the smile, "Cassie."

▂▂▂▂

"So what brings you to New Orleans?" Jules asked. We were sitting on a couch at the side of the bar after dancing and drinking for a long while.