Another Stone

Anya

I struggled against metal chains as the sound of Prince Sebastian's screams grew louder

I struggled against metal chains as the sound of Prince Sebastian's screams grew louder. He was so strong, but his powers were designed against Firelanders, not his own people, making him no match for the Wildlanders. Neither of us were, but I still struggled to break loose, hoping to find a way to save him.  I couldn't stand hearing what they were doing to him.

There was a scraping sound to my right causing me to stop moving as I frantically looked around me. They were coming for me, I knew it. Panicked, I began pulling against the chains.

He came from out of no where, but there he was. His soft, concerned eyes found mine and he was at my side in seconds.

"Luca." My words were an airy release. "I thought you left us."

"No," he said, kneeling down to examine my chains. He groaned in pain as he did, and I glanced down at his ripped shirt, wishing I could see his wound in the dark.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

"You should be worried more about yourself," he grunted, pulling at the chains. "Did you see what they did with the key?"

"No," I told him. "I was unconscious. Luca, you have to get me out of here! We have to help Prince Sebastian."

"I'm trying!" he said, and stood to his feet looking around. I watched as he disappeared into the darkness. Seconds later, he returned with a large, sharp axe. "Brace yourself."

I leaned up and shielded my head as the axe slammed down on the chain. After the commotion subsided, I turned around and saw the chains laying in pieces. Thrilled, I quickly stood to my feet and threw my body into Luca's arms.

"Thank you," I said, pulling away when he winced. "What's the plan?"

"Well before I came here, I watched the Wildlanders from afar. They have the Prince tied to thick wood hanging over a burning fire. Two men are standing on either side of the contraption, rotating it so that the Prince will cook evenly. Good thing is, the Prince won't burn that easily, meaning we have time to create a distraction.

"That distraction is going to be me and the animals. We will lead all of them away while you'll sneak in and release the Prince. Follow the North Star and I'll meet you a mile north."

"Are you sure this is work?" I asked him.

"Yes. These men are practically cavemen. Trust me." He reached into his pocket and pulled out an object wrapped in cloth. "I saw that girl come out of a hut and went inside. I then found this."

I grabbed the object and unclothed it, opening my mouth in shock as I stared down at a necklace similar to the one I had kept at the castle.

It was the winter stone.

I held it up and examined it, using the only bit of moon light I had. On the back of the necklace was engraved lettering, and it read: Ika.