Chapter 17

Secrets... So many secrets... Whispers...

Fern came back to my dreams, but this time, it was just her voice. I was in the dark and I was cold, and all around me I could hear her whispering to me about the secrets. I woke up a little disoriented. I stretched out in the cold bed and realized that I was all alone. I sighed, rolling over to stare at the empty side of the bed, reaching out my hand to touch his pillow.

"Sleeping beauty is back in the real world." He said cheerfully as he opened his door and walked in, followed by Master Pedro and a maid.

Pedro had a strange smile as he glanced over to me. "I only slept here." I said defensively and he and Calvin both chuckled.

"I wasn't going to say anything." Pedro smiled coyly. His usually perfectly styled hair seemed to be a little looser today, and his suit was wrinkled like he either had slept in it, or he had been wearing it all day because he hadn't slept at all. "I just wanted to check on you." He said softly, grief apparent in his deep brown eyes.

I nodded to him in understanding.

Calvin directed the little blonde maid to place the tray in her hands down on the desk and then he came to sit on the side of the bed, brushing my hair from my face. He was dressed very formally in his solid back suit and maroon tie. "I've got meetings today, but I will come right back here as soon as I'm finished. There won't be any events tonight while there are investigations going on into Fern's death." He sighed. "You just stay here, if you need something, Maria here can get it for you." He told me tilting his head over to the blonde girl. "There are extra guards outside."

I placed my hand on top of his gently. "Will you have extra guards with you?" I asked.

He smiled. "Do you think I need them?"

"No, but I would feel better knowing someone was watching your back." I admitted.

"Fine." He said curtly. "I'll take one."

"One?"

"One." He repeated.

"Fine." I agreed after a moment.

He leaned over to kiss me on the forehead and he squeezed my hand. "I'll be back." He promised then he excused himself from the room with a nod to Pedro and Maria.

"Shall I get you ready for a shower?" Maria asked me politely, keeping her eyes cast down.

"Your accent." I commented. "It's American?"

She smiled. "Yes, ma'am."

I smiled at her warmly when she finally let her emerald green eyes meet mine. "Me too." I said although it was obvious. "I'll have the bath in just a little while." I told her. "I'm going to eat first." My stomach was growling beneath the covers.

Maria went to grab my tray for me, but Master Pedro cut in, taking the tray from her grasp. "I've got it." He smiled to her.

"I'll go grab your things, ma'am." She smiled and scurried from the room.

I narrowed my eyes at Pedro.

"Don't give me that look." He said with an eye roll and placed the tray with eggs and toast on the bed beside me. "I wanted to have some privacy to talk." He explained as he sat down on the edge of the bed and crossed his legs.

I grabbed a piece of the toast and bit off a chunk. "About what?" I asked with my mouth full.

He sighed. "How lady like of you."