Steps in The Right Direction {67}

The cab driver thankfully drove right away and it left me no time to reconsider my decision to leave. I was silent the whole ride and when he parked at the house I saw Mark, the man I spoke to on the phone. He smiled when he saw me and I was thankful he could fit me in his schedule.

"You must be Delilah Suren"

"Hi Mark. Thank you for meeting me this late at night"

"No problem. Business always come first" I was struck by the irony in this statement, "Anything that you destroy in the house you have to pay for. It's stocked with furniture and appliances. There's only heating in the bedroom. I suggest only staying there because it can get chilly at night. No pets allowed and no smoking."

"Of course" I nodded my head at all his instructions.

He showed me how much he would charge me per day and said that I would need to give him a notice before I leave. I filled out the forms and he gave me the keys and left.

Inside the house was nice. It wasn't as fancy as Mr Farera house but it was better than my apartment in Chicago. Russell, my cab driver brought my suitcases inside and while he was leaving he said, "Umm..excuse me ma'am. He's here"

"Who's here Russell?" I questioned as I looked at my new temporary home

"The man who made you cry" I turned around when he said that and saw Ian standing there.

"Do you want me to call for help. My brother lives just around the corner and he can kick this guy out"

"Yes please call your brother. I don't want him here" Russell reached into his pocket and grabbed his phone

"Russell if you so much as dial a number I will crush this little cab business that you have going on here. I know people and you know that so I suggest you slip that little piece of junk back into your pocket and leave!" Ian screamed at him.

"I'm not afraid of men like you. I'm not afraid of anyone" Russell said not backing down.

This was my fault. Russell was a nice guy and and I didn't want him to lose everything because of me.

"Russell, I think you should go. Thank you"

"Miss are you sure?"

"Yes thank you" He nodded his head and hesitantly left the house.

After he left, I directed my anger towards him, "What do you want"

"I ended things with Valentina. It's over I don't want the deal if it means losing you" I felt my anger disappear into into a puff of smoke.

"I choose you. I pick you. I want you." I was shocked at his words since I didn't expect him to say that.

"I need you in my life. Took me a shit load of time to realize that but I do. When you got into the car I felt lost. I know you have been patient with me and I know I don't deserve you but I'm not letting you go. So I'm asking for another chance. A chance to gain your trust. A chance to prove to you how much I want this. A chance to build and grow together. I want to be with you Delilah"

"I...I....I don't know what to say"

"Say you will give me another chance. Say you will take a leap of faith with me. Say you want to stay with me"

"I don't know if I can say all that" this was so confusing, "I can't do this right now. I need some time away from you you to think. Whenever you're around me you cloud my judgment. I need to think"

He nodded his head at me and said, "Okay. Yeah you should think about it. Call me...umm when you're ready"

He walked out the door and I sat on the leather couch. I rubbed my temples as I thought about what he said.