Chapter 7:2

The old man, who introduced himself as Tamner, led John and me into the last hut on the edge of the village. It was bigger than the others, but still modest. Rough glass jars and vials filled shelves against the earthen walls. Woven rugs and furs lined every inch of the dirt floor not taken by the large fire pit in the center.

"Set him over there," Tamner said, pointing to a mound of furs built up into a bed. "Hasim, I will need you close. Please do not go far."

I followed his directions, setting Poe on a bundle of furs as the Tamner hurried to search the shelves. He selected a few vials and one of the jars, and a bunch of things I couldn't recognize. Keeping my promise to the old man would be simple. I wouldn't leave until I knew Poe would be alright.

"You, friend of Hasim," Tamner called over to John. "Come. Hold."

John stood inside the doorway looking awkward and out of place, before walking over to accept the handful of items the old man held out for him.

"Tell me. What happened to your teacher, Hasim?"

He knelt on the other side of Poe, examining him closer.

"We were attacked. He opened the portal to take us away from the danger, but then..." I trailed off, trying to make my brain to focus.

"The bird blocked most of a power blast, but the force knocked us all back through the portal." John stood over us, still holding the collection items.

"Tell me about the blast. Every detail you know." The old man stood and pulled another vial off a far shelf and took it to the fire pit. He put a large pot of water on the fire.

"Um, okay, but it's not much." John closed his eyes. I could see his lips moving as he tried to remember.

"Basic spell. Fire Elemental. Levels initiate and above. Um," John paused, his closed eyes squinting in determined concentration. "It's a chant prayer, to the spirits. The more people you have chanting, the more energy goes into the spell."

Tamner nodded in satisfaction and started taking the items from John.

"There were three others standing with your dad, John," I added. "Would that make a difference?"

"Other than adding strength to the spell? No, not that I know of."

John watched the old man mix the quickly bubbling goo in the pot, but I caught the glances he tossed back at me. I could see the conflict in him. We used to be friends, but what were we now? I couldn't see us as enemies. Even if we were on different sides of the war, he had helped me escape and I would still do the same for him if the situation were reversed.

"The bird is pretty important to you, huh?" John said slowly, glancing to Poe.

"Poe has been with me my whole life. He's family."

John watched my expression closely. "What I've been told about your kind, about Necromancers, isn't adding up to what I've seen in the last few hours. I just - don't know what to think."

"John," I paused, trying desperately to figure out a way to not sound like an insensitive monster. "I know we have to talk about it; just not right this second?"

He stared at me a moment longer and nodded, before sitting on the floor next to the fire.

"Hold him up," Tamner said, kneeling next to me with a small bowl and a thin, hollow reed. He sucked up some of the liquid from the bowl into the reed, using his finger over the end to keep it from draining. Then he carefully placed a few drops on Poe's tongue. He sat back and gathered his things, before taking them to the shelves.

"Now what? Is that it?" I asked. Poe's breathing seemed even more labored than before, as if he were fighting for each breath.

"We wait." He gave me a solemn look. "It is all that we can do."

I didn't like the way that sounded - the grave, finality in the old man's voice. Poe had been there for me my entire life. He had helped me find my power and was helping me learn to control it, teaching me to use it. And after all that, I suddenly realized, I barely knew him.

Poe's limp form blurred in front of me, and I closed my eyes.

I opened them at the sound of cloth rustling to see John taking a seat next to me. Quickly, I rubbed at my face like I was tired. I didn't want him to think I was weak.

He set my bag between us, pushing it a little closer. "Thought you might want it," he said with a shrug.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

Tamner bustled about the hut, returning a few items to their shelves before grabbing the pot and ducking quietly out the doorway.

"I'm sorry." My voice sounded rough.

"For what?" John asked.

"For everything. Going to that warehouse was my idea. If we hadn't gone, Poe wouldn't have been hurt, and you wouldn't be trapped here with me."

He stared at me a moment, taking in my words. "Trapped? What do you mean 'trapped here'?"

"Poe is the only one who can open the portals." Well, the Vault could open a portal too, but that wasn't going to help us now.

"The bird opened the portal to another plane of existence? You mean you didn't bring us here, the bird did?"

I didn't get a chance to reply as Tamner returned and settled in front of me with another bowl. This one was filled with a foul-smelling paste.

He gestured for my arm. I held it out for him, amazed to see it crisscrossed with blistering burns. I lifted the other as well to find it looked the same. I mean, I'd noticed they hurt, but I guess by this point I was numb.

John stared at my arms a moment before looking away. "You don't need to apologize. We've both been at fault."

I flinched as the paste stung my skin, and had to resist pulling my arms back. "What's in that?"

Tamner shrugged. "You do not need to know."

"I don't even know how to thank you, after everything you've done."

He wiped his hands clean on the edge of his robes and waved off my appreciation. "Nothing is too great a trouble for Hasim. Not for Tamner." He pointed at the paste on my arms. "Do not touch. Rest, sleep is best."

I glanced at John as Tamner moved away, but he stood as well. "I will keep an eye on your bird. You should sleep; you look like death."

John grinned, and I shook my head. Was he really the same person with the same bad jokes? Was he still a friend I could trust?  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I almost didn't make this update! gah! This particular section was a bit messier than I originally thought

Thanks for reading and sticking with me. Don't forget to vote, comment and add Legacy to your reading lists if you'd like to stay up to date with my updates! 

<3 J.D.