52~Live to Die

Every living creature on earth dies alone. -Donnie Darko

     Tala laughed, her claws still held against my throat, and my hand at her heart. "How'd you come to that conclusion." she wheezed.

     "I found a page at this witch's cottage. Detailing a potion that caused someone the inability to breathe." I hissed, shoving my hand into her chest. One move and her heart would be pulled from her body. "Then I remembered you giving me that drink one night. And the beta, Easton. He once asked me if I knew the cause of my baby's death, then he corrected with who."

     Howls were heard, ringing in my ears. I could smell Vincenzo and his brother, dragging Ezra, Axel, and Titus' limp bodies. I glanced back, almost throwing up at the sight. There was a gaping hole where Ezra's jugular used to be. Nausea crawled up my throat as I thought of blue-eyed Roland and what he will feel when he learned of this. The rest of the enemy packs were knocked out and being dragged in by pack members. Vincenzo peered up at me, brow knotted. 

     His hair was stained red with matted blood, his face the incarnation of death itself. His brother, who could be his twin, stepped towards me. His breath hitched when the females at my side growl warningly. My voice rang through the room, commanding the attention of everyone. Titus and Axel limply raised their heads to me. "About seven months ago I gave birth to a stillborn!" I shouted roughly. Vincenzo visibly flinched and for a moment his blood stained face wasn't so terrifying. 

      "I thought the child died possible from an unknown disease, or even myself. But no, this fucking bitch! This scum of a so-called-queen. She killed him!" I screamed. Vincenzo growled loudly. 

    Tala lazily glanced up at me. "Careful, luna." she mocked quietly. For extra emphasis she lightly drew her claw over my neck, drawing a hint of blood. 

     I was too fast for her. I threw her at Vincenzo, smirking when he stepped away. He glanced towards the injured crowd of wolves and raised his head. "What did she do?" he roared to me. 

     I rolled my shoulders, and faster than the wolves could comprehend I had my hand back at her chest. With a slick thud her heart fell to the floor. "That's how it felt." I hissed to her wide-eyed form. She collapsed to the floor, dead. "THAT'S HOW IT FELT WHEN I LEARNED MY CHILD WAS DEAD! THAT'S HOW IT FELT WHEN I LEARNED yOU POISONED A PREGNANT SHE-WOLF."

     Astrid caught my eye as she slipped through the battered wolves of Axel and Titus. She is unnoticed, precise and deadly as lightning. My eyes connected with her blue eyes in a display of dominance. I cocked my head to the side. This was my finale gift to the girl I once called a sister. This was the last time I will show mercy before we meet again on the battlefield. 

     Valentino was too late to stop Astrid from dragging Axel and Titus away, shielded by her pack. Vincenzo growled loudly and ordered his pack outside, following the escaping girl.

~

     My eyes widened in panic as I saw the sight in front of me. Axel and Titus were now fully conscious. They bared their teeth at me and stopped at the growing crater surrounding the witch. Every element was responding to the uncontrolled magic Katerina radiated. 

    Rain showered our heads, matting our fur or hair to our bodies. The ground was shaking uncontrollably. I yelped diving away when fire hurtled towards me. I bared my teeth and slowly walked towards the shielded witch, trying to gain a foothold as the wind pushed me back. Katerina's glowing eyes snapped towards me. "APOLLO-BORN." her voice resonated throughout the whole plain. What the fuck was going on?

     Arcaen gripped my hand, "I can feel it." he groaned. "The spell she used to bring you guys back, it was too much. She's gonna destroy everything within miles if someone doesn't contain it." His brow furrowed. "How many people did you guys bring back?"