━ thirty: smells like (the lack of) teen spirit

CHAPTER THIRTY

SMELLS LIKE (THE LACK OF) TEEN SPIRIT

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪  

     BRIAR WAS — LIKE A lot of other teenagers, wizard or not — not looking forward to going back to school in September. A lot of people knew her name. Her dad was a werewolf, and her mum was the daughter of the recently-deceased Ministry worker, the one that people used to think would've become Minister. Plus, at school, her surname bore a legacy — firstly, her dad was one of the marauders, and the teachers that remembered that tended to expect her to be just as bad as they were. And, secondly, on her first day at school, she had walked into the hall alongside Fred and George. It had been about a week before they got their first detention, and that was only because the first thing that they did wasn't caught.

     (And, there was the whole deal with people thinking she was a werewolf for a couple weeks, but that was stamped out following the group of Slytherins, encouraged by Livvy, that terrified anyone that supported the lie.)

     Usually, the summer holidays were spent with Briar visiting the Burrow often, or Fred and George would visit and stay at hers, or she'd go to the swimming pool in the next town over and pretend that she was in a different country closer to the equator. But, so far, the summer holidays had mostly been spent with Briar keeping to herself. The Weasleys had been staying at Grimmauld Place, Sirius' family home, and Briar went with her dad often to the Order of the Phoenix meetings, which were being held in the house's dining room.

     And, although she wished that she could feel happy about being in the know, she wasn't. She couldn't tell any of the others that weren't allowed into the meetings — and, to be fair, she wasn't a part of the Order, she was just partaking in the meetings until she was old enough to actually help — which resulted in various arguments whenever they asked about it. After the first meeting she was allowed to go into, Briar had gone upstairs to where the others were hiding, after trying to use one of the twins' Extendable Ears.

     They had asked her what went on, and Briar explained that she couldn't tell them. Annoyed, they accepted that. They asked the next time, and Briar said the same thing. Three days later, Briar was pissed off that they kept on asking, and the others were pissed off that she wasn't telling them. Another two days later, the others were trying to make Fred sweet-talk his way into finding out, and Briar finally snapped.

     (And by that, she doesn't mean that she told them anything. Instead, Fred and Briar had a massive argument, and they didn't speak for about a week.)

     (Which felt a lot longer than it was.)

     (But the silence was ended when she walked out of one of the meetings, saw him on the stairs, and both disappeared for half an hour to literally kiss and make up.)