Chapter Twenty-Five: Defense Against the Dark Arts

Cordelia couldn't tell if the brothers were confused because they didn't understand her reference, or because they were just confused by her reference.

"Wait what?" Cal asked finally.

"Did you just make a Harry Potter reference?" Kol asked quietly, frowning at her like a horn had sprouted on her forehead.

Cal turned to his brother, "Wait. Did that make sense to you?"

Kol nodded, "Defense Against the Dark Arts. It's a class in Harry Potter where they learn defensive magic."

While Kol explained that to Cal, Cordelia was trying to wrap her mind around the fact that a real life witch hadn't read Harry Potter.

Cal frowned. By the look on his face, it looked like he was more than a little annoyed he had been left out.

"Okay well in that case...no." Cal said through pursed lips.

That seemed to surprise Kol because he said, "Wait what?" At the exact same time Cordelia did.

"I think it's unecessary and dangerous. She's too new to magic to be learning defensive magic." Cal replied smoothly. Okay he at least deserved props for standing his ground.

Kol's jaw clenched, "I know. Normally you'd be right. But after everything that's happened not only does Cordelia need to learn to use her powers, she also deserves to be able to defend herself."

Cordelia thought her mind might explode. This was some Freaky Friday crap. Sure Kol being the reasonable one, and Cal being the impulsive one was normal, but Kol was taking her side and Cal was going by the rules.

Cordelia wished she had backed Kol up, or thanked him but instead all she could do was gape at the pair.

Cal jutted his chin, "It's a bad idea," he insisted, "Starting off with defensive magic will not only risk our safety but hers. You know that."

That pissed Cordelia off enough for her to speak up. "Right here folks. Don't I get a say?" Cal openned his mouth to argue but she shot him a look that silenced him. "I barely survived Kyle's attack, and he's human! My parents barely survived the car crash. I'm tired of barely surviving, I wanna start kicking some ass."

That got Cal to mutter something incoherent that sounded like he was grudgingly giving in.

A short while later, the three of them stood outside, facing three crates that each held up an empty can of beer, that Kol had set up.

"Okay so Magical Witches all have three basic powers: telekinesis, dream leaping, and healing. Each witch has their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to those. It's already pretty clear telekinesis is one of your strengths." Cal explained. Despite her hang-ups when it came to magic, Cordelia took pride in the fact that she had a strength.

"In addition each witch has one or several more personalized powers." Cal added.

"Well what are mine?" Cordelia asked, since that seemed like a vital piece of information that had been left out.

"We don't know." Kol admitted, his arms crossed across his broad chest. "Yet." He added quickly, when Cal shot him a disaproving look for his lack of tact.

Cordelia tried not to betray how disapointed she was. If she had to be a witch, she wanted to be able to fly. Or have super strength or control time.

"Well what about you guys?" Cordelia sighed.

At that, Cal perked up at the chance to show off. He extended a hand where a small flame danced in his palm.