[21]: The Rasiven's

I bet you got pushed around
Somebody made you cold
But the cycle ends right now

~Mean | Taylor Swift

[21]: The Rasiven's

THEA'S P.O.V.

AFTER WHAT SEEMED LIKE THIRTY minutes of traveling in a bus, sitting beside the guy that annoys you until you want to get punched in the gut and a lady talking about leadership and something like that, I was therefore, seriously irritated.

But then ended when the bus stopped and Wennelyn said that we're here.

Yes, we're here in a dirt road where beside the road is nothing but trees.

"Where the heck are we?" I heard Seth mutter.

After everybody got off the bus, Wennelyn said final instructions.

"I want the girls to come with me. The boys will be left here because Annette will be giving out some packed goods to eat with your adopted families. Now, girls, follow me." She said.

We turned started to follow Wennelyn into the forest-like place and Marcy walked side by side with me.

"Missing Seth?" She teased.

"Ummm, no." I replied. "I think it's better when he's not around."

"Are you suuuure?"

"Yes."

"Are you really really sure?"

What the heck would shut her up? The butterflies in my stomach are starting to flutter!

"Maybe you're crushing on him, aren't you?" I teased back.

"What? No!" She exclaimed, turning red.

"Oh, there you have it. Your face says it all." I said.

"Okay, okay. I kind of like him." She said. "But promise me you won't tell him?"

I shrugged. "Promise."

And I promise to tell the truth to you too.

I was getting jealous.

How could this one person admit her feelings to another so easily? I, on the other hand, couldn't say it. It's just so hard to.

Just then a small community came into view.

The houses were made of wood, some were made of cement. There were even tree houses. And some children were playing outside.

Once the people outside saw us, they stopped everything they were doing and turned their attention towards us.

"LTS trainees, welcome to the outskirts. Here, you will be meeting your adopted families and I hope you'll spend time with them kindly." Wennelyn said.

Then Wennelyn started to read something on her clipboard and called some last names.

"Hartens," Wennelyn finally called.

I walked towards her. "You will be assigned to the Rasiven's. There is a number on their door that says 014. Do your best." She said. "Enjoy, okay?"

After saying my thanks to her, I walked towards a house that has 009 on it. The next house has 010. House 011 was behind it and house 12 was beside it.

Going more deeper into the woods, there stood a small and simple two-storey house, made out of wood and cement, and on it's door were the numbers 014.

Yes, this was it.

I approached the hardwood door and knocked on it. Footsteps can be heard on the other side of the door.

"Oh, hello! You must be from the LTS! Come in!" A chirpy woman on her mid 30's greeted after the door opened.

I stepped inside and looked around.

Definitely simple.

Beside me was a table with a small TV on it. The sofas were made out of wood and cushions were arranged in them so that it would be more comfortable to sit on. A crib was in the middle of the small living room where a coffee table should have been.

The floor was just plain cement and the walls were painted yellow and there was a small stairway to my left.

"Sorry about the house." The chirpy woman said.

"Oh. There's nothing wrong about it." I said.

"I know it's smaller than the usual houses in the city but please, make yourself feel at home." She said.

"Thank you," I said. She sat down on a chair and I sat down on their sofa.

"So, what's your name dear?" She asked.

"Thea." I said. "Thea Hartens."

"I'm Hazel. Well, Thea, shouldn't there be two of you from the LTS?" She asked.

"My partner's just going to catch up because they're still doing something outside." I explained.

"So, tell me about your partner. Is it a boy?" She asked excitedly.

"Well... yes."

Hazel's eyes lit up. "So, is he cute?"

"Way more than cute."

Did I just say that?

"Really?" She gushed.

I can't believe this woman is still behaving like this.

"Ummm... yes?"

"What does he do at school?" She asked.

I wanted to say, oh, he mostly skips classes, spend quality time with his BFFs in the detention room and treat a guy like a punching bag. But that's no biggie to us. It's normal. That is Seth Deavon.

But of course, I said, "Well... he sings."

"He does?"

"Yes, he got first last year in the Freshmen's Top Ten best singers." I replied.

And then, there was a knock on the door.

"For a while, dear." Hazel said as she stood up to open the door.

I didn't see who it was when she opened the door but she stood there frozen for a second, and then, winked at me.

Seth.

I heard him cough a little bit and said something to her and I could see Hazel receiving the packed goods.

"Thank you, dear." Hazel said. "Come in."

She stepped aside and in came the tall guy who almost had to duck when he came in the door.

At first he stood there, looking around the surroundings and then he locked eyes at me.

For a moment, we just stared at each other's eyes.

But of course, he was the first one to break eye contact.

"Sit down, Seth," Hazel said. Seth walked toward my direction and sat in the sofa-chair that Hazel sat awhile ago.

"So, Seth and Thea, from what school are you from?" Hazel said, still in her position by the door.

We had turn our bodies to her direction when she spoke.

"Woodlane Academy," I replied.

"That must be very far from here..." she said, setting down the packed goods.
"So, Seth, do you have a girlfriend?" She asked out of the blue.

"I'm not having any." Seth replied.

Wow, that stung.

"Why?" She said turning her attention at me though he was still asking Seth.

"I just don't want to have one." He said.

"What about you, Thea? Do you have a boyfriend?" Hazel asked.

"No." I said as I shook my head.

"Well, Seth, Thea told me some things about you." Hazel said.

I perked up and widened my eyes.

Omg, no no no no no no no.

Seth looked at me for a second and turned back at Hazel. "Really?" He asked.

"Yes... just like you know how to sing." Hazel said as I was doing silent dramatical actions to tell her to stop.

Thank God she noticed me.

"She did?" He asked.

"Oh yes." She said. "Now, I'll wake up the others so that you can meet them." Hazel said, changing the topic.

"And Seth, Thea was right about something too." Hazel said. "You really are handsome."

And with that she disappeared up the stairs.

"I'm handsome?" Seth asked, the usual conceited smirk on his face.

"You don't want a girlfriend?" I blurted out.

"Answer me first." He said.

I rolled my eyes. "I didn't say you were handsome. I told her you were cute." I shifted my attention to the TV directly infront of me.

"Me? Cute? I'm cute?"

I rolled my eyes. "Because... you're not ugly."

"I am overly handsome, Thea, and you just call me cute? I think you need some eyeglasses." He said.

"You are not handsome." I stated.

Lie.

"Then you're not pretty." He said.

I blushed. I think you know what he said meant.

"Have you had breakfast already?" Hazel said as she descended down the stairs, carrying a little baby in her arms.

"Yes. We already had." I replied.

"Oh well, this is Alyssa by the way." Hazel said as she placed baby Alyssa on the crib. "She's nine months old." She added.

Just then an elderly woman was walking down the stairs. When she both noticed me and Seth, she smiled and said, "Well, good morning to you."

"Good morning," Seth and I replied.

"Mom, this is Thea and Seth. They're from the seminary I told you about." Hazel said.

"Nice to meet the two of you," She said.

I just smiled.

Minutes later, after Hazel and Liza went to the kitchen to cook for their food, someone can be heard going down the stairs.

A girl, about a year older than me, was walking down the stairs. She had dirty-blonde hair like her mother's that stopped on her waist and tanned skin.

When she looked at us, she seemed surprised, then, a disgusted look showed in her face when her attention was on me and then it disappeared when she looked at Seth, a hungry and lustful expression crossed her face.

Talk about ew.

"Thea, Seth, Janice and I will be going to the woods to gather more firewood. Would you like to come with us?" Hazel said after we had lunch.

Janice, Hazel's daughter, a.k.a. (for me) Queen-I-dislike-you, shot me dangerous glares.

I rolled my eyes mentally.

"I'll just stay here. But I know Seth wouldn't mind." I said. "Right, Seth?"

"What?" He asked beside me, an incredulous look on his face.

I gave him a warning glare.

"I mean, yeah, I don't mind." He said as I smiled at Hazel.

"Well, come on," Hazel said.

Seth stood up and gave me hateful glares and I smiled cheekily.

He pinched my cheek while he made a face and followed Hazel and Janice outside.

Standing up, I went to the front porch where Liza was, having a sip of tea.

"Join me," she said when she saw me.

"Would you like a cup of tea?" She asked.

"Sure." I said. She poured tea on another teacup and handed it to me.

"He's different, right?" She suddenly asked.

"Who?" I asked, as I brought the teacup to my mouth.

"Seth."

I took a ridiculous gulp of tea.

I coughed a little. "He is."

"In what way, do you think?"

"The way he is right now, I think. There's a lot of factors that makes him different." I replied.

"But, do you think he's really different from us, aside from his attitude?" Liza asked.

I thought about it.

Sure, sometimes I wonder why people are afraid of Seth. People cower in fear when they come or when he comes near them. Yes, he's a fighter and beats the crap out people. He doesn't speak to other people.

And he definitely rebels.

But not to his mother and sister.

When his mom and sister are around, he acts like perfect normal teenager. But when he's outside, he's like a newly-freed-from-the-prison serial killer.

Something was making him make people think he's different. And his actions and attitude are right on the list.

But why? He could've acted like a normal person. Sometimes, I don't see the cold Seth. Just like in the time where we would sleep and cuddle.

Maybe, he wast like this in the past...

That's it! His past.

Maybe something in his past made him hate the world.

Genius, Thea!

But back to the topic, is he really different?

To me, my answer is no. We all have experience hurt and all things like that but it's up to us how we treat that experience. It's either we'll never forget it or we can move on.

"No, he's not." I said.

"Exactly." Liza agreed.

A moment of silence settled upon us as I drank my tea.

"You like him, don't you?" She suddenly asked, breaking the silence.

I almost spewed tea.

Jeez, this woman is full of surprises!

"Oh please, Liza." I said, setting my teacup down on the coffee table. "Jerks with big egos the size of Canada aren't my type."

Go Thea, this a lie-all-you-can moment. Make sure you go to confession after this.

"Really?" She said, amused. "But I can see the way you two looks at each other. He likes you too, you know."

"Oh no," I said, shaking my head. "He can't like me, Liza. Or else, his big bad boy reputation would get flushed down the toilet."

She gave a small chuckle.

"Well, if you won't believe me," she said, setting her own teacup down the table, "just wait. You'll soon figure it out."

Right on cue, a baby started wailing inside the house.

"If you'll excuse me, I'll have to get Alyssa." She said,

"Sure." I replied, smiling.

She sent me a smile before going back inside.

******************************
A/N: Geez, sorry if you think this chapter sucks. I was lacking inspiration, ya know.

But it's alright. At least I had Chapter 21 uploaded.

Btw, I need a loooot of GOOD comments from you, guys, 'cause it's actually the comments that inspires me so... pretty please with whipped cream and cherry on top? ☻

BTW, THANK YOU readers who never forgets to show support by reading/voting/commenting/promoting my book. I love you people so of course I'll do my best to give you a story you'll really enjoy. HUGS AND KISSES!