Untitled Part 6

Six

"Where do you propose we walk to?" Gwen inquired, her tone utterly confused. "It's a bit late to stroll in the village."

Anthony looked over his shoulder and flashed a grin. "I quite agree. Dinner is approaching, and it's too late to go question the villagers about the highwaymen tonight, but we should have time to take a turn through the ballroom to look for the next clue."

A grin of pure delight spread over her pretty face, and her eyes sparkled at the prospect.

Yes... sparkled.

Like diamonds...

Or maybe sapphires.

Whatever gemstone her eyes resembled they made his breath hitch, and then his stride. He suddenly found himself turning back, waiting for her to catch up. He held a hand out to her, palm up.

Face aglow she tentatively slipped her palm into his.

Anthony pulled her alongside him and twined his fingers with hers until their hands interlocked intimately and swung naturally between them. Together they ambled from the study, Gwen paused briefly to retrieve Sarah's old journal from the end table by the door.

"Do you intend to read more about Sarah and her king of hearts?"

"Of course. For all we know it's their scavenger hunt we're on."

Anthony chuckled, enjoying her enthusiasm. "If that's the case maybe there will be clues in the journal."

"My thoughts exactly, Lord Valentine."

He gently increased the pressure on her hand. "Call me Anthony," he pressed earnestly.

Her wide blue eyes flicked up to him and a small, almost mischievous smile twisted her lips. "Or maybe I should call you the king of hearts."

He laughed. "As long as it's that and not king of heartbreak," he replied, his tone was light, but he was completely serious.

Hand in hand they swept through the mansion to the ballroom. Anthony released Gwen and pushed open the oversized French doors. "After you."

Gwen sashayed slowly into the room, her eyes aglow with appreciation. "It's beautiful," she whispered, tilting her head back and taking in the decadent architecture.

The ballroom was magnificent with it's ornate moldings, crystal chandeliers, and rich burgundy drapes adorning the high windows. Anthony knew a sudden pang of guilt that she'd never seen it before. She was the lady of this house... his house... she was his lady. He shoved away the ever present thoughts of his inadequacies as a husband and forced a light tone, "We should have a ball for Christmastide."