Chapter 2: "Kitten?"

I woke to the sound of my alarm blaring mercilessly. Groggily, I violently slammed the alarm and it tumbled to the floor, turning it off. With slow, weary steps, I grabbed some clothes and went to the bathroom.

Closing the door behind me, I studied my features in the mirror. A pair of honey eyes with dark circles stared back at me. My auburn tangles were a mess and my skin was in dire need of a tan, too pale for its own good.

A familiar scream jolted me awake. Shit, is that Sydney? She didn't go to Jasper's then. Was it a thief? The security of our building was shit after all. I immediately rushed to her bedroom and was about to open the door but abruptly stopped when I heard:

"Fuck Jasper you are so big," Sydney moaned out breathlessly. "Faster babe, faster!"

I rolled my eyes. Of course they're at it like rabbits at six in the morning. Their libido is definitely active, and definitely unreplenishable.

I went back to the bathroom, turning the shower on in the hope of muffling the ear-splitting groans. God, they were worse than the porn movie we watched last night.

That's it, when I get my paycheck next month, we are moving to a new apartment where the walls aren't paper thin.

A few days ago, the letter to the internship came in a neat, manila envelope. I was relieved to know that that the internship would pay a solid amount of money, more than I anticipated. It stated I was going to be working under Mr. Brandon, whom I presume is in charge of the interns.

After I was finished with my shower, I dried my hair and let my curls fall freely. I changed into a polished outfit, a grey pencil skirt with a cream blouse. I applied some light makeup, just enough to hide my blemishes.

I went up to Sydney's room and banged on the door. "Syd, it's my first day at work. Don't you wanna see me off?"

"Coming!" I got a hasty reply from the other end of the door.

Sydney came out in a frenzy, Jasper's oversized T-shirt hanging off her shoulders. "Look at you! You look really professional, Mel." Sydney complimented, kissing me on the cheek.

I smiled at her. A different voice came from the doorway. "I would come but I'm not sure you'd want to see me right now!"

"It's okay, Jasper. Just wish me luck," I said. Closing the door behind me, I walked towards the living room.

"Oh, by the way, I'm really sorry Mel. We were so at it last night that we forgot where we threw our clothes. And well, you can see for yourself," She smiled sheepishly and I narrowed my eyes at her as we stepped into the room.

Clothes were scattered everywhere, from the bookcase, to the ottoman, to the poor frying pan on the dining table. You would think a hurricane ripped through the area, something that wasn't surprising as we lived in Florida.

"There's my bra!" Sydney unhooked the strap off the corner of the lamp and I shuddered at the shameful mess.

"Don't worry, Mel. We'll clean this place up after round three, I promise!" Sydney winked.

I laughed nervously. "I swear Syd, if you do it on my bed, I'll actually kill you."

I unlocked the door and stepped outside. "Have a wonderful first day!" Syd wrapped her arms around me in a warm hug. "And don't panic okay? You're going to rock," Sydney reassured me, rubbing her hand over my back.

. . .

I was lost.

I didn't see Mr. Brandon anywhere, and with the size of the ninth floor, I probably wasn't going to find him anywhere. I glanced around. The ninth floor seemed secluded in comparison to the others. And everyone here gave off a feeling that they wouldn't like it if they were disturbed. It was intimidating but somehow, I had the courage to ask and they all said Mr. Brandon was supposed to be here, but I still could not locate him. I desperately called his number but the call immediately went to voicemail.