Chapter 38

Her heart had been fluttering erratically like the heart of a trapped deer by its carnivorous prey. Salman had again asked her what was wrong but she just shrugged it off. Now in the silence of the night, she lay on her side, fretting what was to come. No way could she meet Daud again. What if Salman finds out? She feared his anger and to the extent he could go to damage others in his wrath. Glancing over her shoulder to make sure Salman was sleeping, she silently typed a text message to a certain "Dania".

He is back. Don't message or call me. I will call you up when I am free.

In the last few days, she hadn't done anything that she should be guilty of but Salman was a very possessive and jealous man. She couldn't risk in communicating with Daud at all. Sighing, she deleted all texts and calls from "Dania".

She was petrified. There was no point in this friendship. She had been reminding herself over and over again. But her heart betrayed her each time. She craved for some cherished moments of happiness. More than that, she longed for some moments of just being herself. She missed that. With Salman she had to be cautious about every single move she took or every word that slipped from her mouth.

She closed her eyes tightly in agony. When she was single she used to make fun of those women who were scared of their spouse. How ironic today she was facing the same situation. A scornful smile spread on her lips, she was afraid of Salman. There was no doubt about that. In just a few months of their marriage, he had rooted one big fact in their marriage – he had control over every matter. And if she didn't follow his lead, she was to face the raging man ready to attack her at every step she took.

Her eyelids rose and the dull night sky with scattered clouds peeked through the gaps of the curtains. Daud was different. He could touch her heart with only few words or just the way he looked. There was nothing degrading the way he spoke or looked. Instead he treated her like his equal. Her husband had never treated her equally. She was always looked down upon. Mocked at all times, although, if she was honest with herself at the start of their relationship he had been accommodating. Those days she had still felt at ease with him. But now...

She had no words to describe her anguish.

Her head ached. It was better to sleep, tomorrow was a new dawn. Perhaps her life would seem brighter then.

But not all days were bright...

****

The next evening, Nawal was unpacking Salman's bag that he had taken for the business trip when she found specialized handmade chocolates. Salman was busy in the study even after coming back from work hours earlier. After placing all the clothes in their designated places, holding the chocolates she quietly tapped on the study door.

Opening the door a little, she peeked through it, "Do you have a minute?"

His gaze lifted from the laptop screen and he nodded.

Sauntering in the study room, she showed him the chocolates, "Who are these for?"

"For you."

Her eyebrows furrowed, "Me?"

He nodded as he glanced at the report in front of him, "Ya I forgot to give it to you yesterday. I know you like chocolates, right?" His gaze flickered on her face.

Slowly nodding, she was surprised he thought to buy her anything at all during the time he was away. He had been very distracted even during their phone calls.

"Thank you." She whispered and whirled around to leave him.

It was an hour later, she was munching on a hazelnut chocolate and reading through her marketing scholarly paper when Salman walked over to the bed. Stretching on the bed beside her, he rolled to his side to face her, "How have been your classes?"