Chapter 16 Bullet Holes and Tunnels

'Are we really going to look for bullet holes?' asked Christopher as they left the police station.

Amaryllis nodded solemnly. 'We've got to do this thing properly. It's obvious that the police need a hand.'

'What do you mean, we've got to do it?' he said. 'I didn't think I was part of this private detective caper of yours.'

'It's not a caper. It's a small business. If I looked into it, I might even be able to apply for start-up funding and a free course on designing a business card.'

'Hmm.'

He didn't sound convinced. Amaryllis wasn't sure that anyone really wanted her to set up a private detective agency in Pitkirtly. They might think they wanted that, but they wouldn't necessarily be able to cope with the reality of it. She thought what Christopher and Charlie Smith both wanted was to regulate her activities somehow and stop her making rash, impulsive decisions that often landed one or both of them in trouble. That didn't mean they would accept her right to take on clients and pry into what people were doing, even if she had the best-designed business card in the world.

Mulling over ideas for what would constitute the best business card in the world took her until they arrived at the Cultural Centre. She decided it would be minimalist, ideally with a one-word slogan on it that defined the whole enterprise. Porcupine, for instance. Or Gargoyle. Or investigate, with a small letter 'i'. If Christopher wondered why she hadn't said anything on the way, he didn't comment on it. But then, his ability not to make inane comments on anything and everything was one of her favourite things about him.

'We'd better start just outside of your office window,' she said as they stared at the building. 'If there really was a bullet and it bounced off, we might be able to find it.'

'I'll have to pop inside now we're here,' said Christopher, producing a set of keys. 'I should have been checking every day really. Last winter there was some blocked guttering that caused a bit of a leak, and the old map collection got slightly damaged... Why are you looking at me like that?'

She realised she had been staring at him with her mouth wide open.

'Old maps – of course,' she said. 'Thank you, Christopher. I'd forgotten about that.'

'I didn't think I'd mentioned it to anyone,' he said, looking uncomfortable as she continued to stare at him.

'Let's look inside first,' she said. 'Where do you keep these old maps anyway?'

'I didn't know you were interested in maps,' he said, giving in and unlocking the doors. He turned quickly to switch the alarm off as they entered the foyer.

'They have their uses,' she said cryptically. 'I have some on my phone actually.'

'What's that – an app?' he asked. She knew he was only trying to sound as if he knew what an app was. Christopher had never really trusted modern phone technology. He couldn't get used to the idea that you had to switch your mobile phone on for it to work. Or that the word 'mobile' was an indication that you were meant to carry it around with you.

'No, not exactly,' she said.

'They're through in the library. In the corner of the reference section – next to Cat Care.'

'Not in alphabetical order then,' she said, following him along the corridor.

'Yes, they are.'

'Maps – cat care?'

'Try cartography,' he said over his shoulder, switching the lights on.

It was always a surprise to Amaryllis when she saw Christopher in his native habitat and realised he was competent and intelligent. She must try and remember that more often.