Chapter 25 *New*

"Ugh, he needs to tidy his shit," Mia muttered, her pert nose wrinkling as she surveyed the mess

"Ugh, he needs to tidy his shit," Mia muttered, her pert nose wrinkling as she surveyed the mess. All I could do was stare as she kicked the door shut behind her, tossing the bags down on the floor. If she was wary of me, she didn't show it; she turned her back without hesitating, reaching into the bag without any regard for the fact that she was leaving herself exposed and vulnerable to an attack.

To my attack.

But rather than take advantage, I remained standing stiffly by the window, bristling with frustration and anger.

I felt... set up.

Like he'd set me up to fail the entire time. He'd watched Theo and I struggle to make ends meet after he refused to take us in. He'd tried to run us out of town, stalking us through the streets and shooting at us. He'd watched as I was almost killed in that fucking pit — knowing damn well that I'd never get a place in any pack — and then decided... what?

That play time was over?

I guess you're the real winner here.

Our last argument ricocheted around my head like a ping pong ball and with each second my paranoia grew. There had to be a catch. An ulterior motive. Especially given he was still convinced I was here on Sebastien's orders...

Unless that was the point.

Unless he thought the fact that I fucked him meant my loyalty to Sebastien was starting to weaken. That it wasn't just biology fucking with my brain — and he could exploit. Make me turn against him.

My fists tightened reflexively, my nails digging deep into my palms and re-opening old wounds. Something dark and heavy settled in the pit of my stomach, something I refused to analyse, and as the scent of blood hit my nostrils it was easier to focus on my anger. On Theo. On getting the hell out here, somehow.

On finding a way to disappear.

On pretending I wasn't backed into yet another corner with no way out.

"These are yours." I flinched at the sound of her voice, jolting back into focus just as Mia dumped the bags on the bed. I realised I was shaking, my fingers and curling and uncurling rapidly as I fought down the urge to — phase? Rip her throat out? Run? "And uh..." She grabbed a clear bottle from one and tossed it at me. "Kellan told me you'd know what that's for."

I caught it instinctively, my brow furrowing in confusion as I brought it to my nose and sniffed. Oh hell, that's strong. It took a few seconds to mentally rewind through the haze of the last few days but then it hit me: "I have an elixir you can take after the fever wears off."

Plugging my nose, I chugged the bottle down, grimacing as the taste hit the back of my tongue. My stomach swirled with nausea but I managed to get all of it down in four gulps. It wasn't until I finished, gasping, that I realised Mia was watching me with her brow furrowed.