Chapter Two (I Can't Do That To You)

"Don't lie to me," I whispered, shaking my head.

"I'm not lying. I really want to get to know you. You've entranced me since the moment I laid eyes on you."

"I feel the same way," I said, leaning into his embrace. "Want to come in?"

"I'd love to," he replied, reaching over the seat to turn the truck off. He climbed out of his side of the truck, pulling me along with him.

As we walked up the steps to my apartment building, we were approached by Trent Walker. His father, Derrick Walker, was a loan shark, and his twin brother, Luke, was the head of a local gang. "Who's the G.I. Joe?" Trent asked, stepping closer to me.

I took a step back. "None of your business, Trent." I said, holding my head up high, taking Locland's hand in my own and walking further into the building.

"Please, don't follow. Please, don't follow," I whispered under my breath.

"It is very much my business, sweet cheeks." Trent snickered, coming to stand in front of me, blocking my way in.

"Leave me alone."

"Never, I hear you're too much fun for that." My heart started to pound as I felt Locland stiffen behind me. I was starting to feel ashamed. "I'll be back later to see you," he warned, leaving the building.

I collapsed into Locland's arms. "Don't let him take me, please?" I begged him.

"I won't, Angel," he reassured me.

"I really don't want to, but I guess I'll have to stay with my brother again."

"I thought you didn't have any family anymore."

"I didn't, but then my mother kicked my brother out of the house soon after me, seeing as he was such a disappointment to them. He came and found me, and then he ended up opening up his own business. He's doing okay, but you never know around here. One day you're doing great, the next you're bankrupt."

"What's your brother like?" Loc asked, changing the subject.

"Well, he's my best friend. He is three years older than me, and I guess you could say we look the same, except he has dark brown hair and green eyes."

"I'm just guessing here, but is your brother twenty-four?" he asked.

"Yeah."

I moved out of his arms and towards the stairs in the apartment building. I had already been on the elevator once before and learned never to go on it again. I was stuck on it for an hour as it went up and down at a shocking pace.

We walked up all six flights of stairs. I didn't hear one complaint from Locland. When we reached my apartment door, I quickly got my key out from underneath the mat and received a frown from Locland. "I forgot my keys at Matt's Place," I said.

"Why do you keep a key under your mat? Anyone can walk in." He raised his hands for dramatic effect.

"Well, you see," I started, trying to think of a good come back, but I had nothing. "I can't answer that." I laughed, opening the door and stepping inside.

The few things I owned were lying across the floor. My drawers were open, my things had been ransacked, and the window in my bedroom was broken. I gasped in utter shock. Locland quickly pulled me behind him, pulling a small gun out from the inside of his jeans. "Come out now!" he ordered. Three men came out from the bathroom, and I knew we were outnumbered. I couldn't fight at all. Locland might have been a soldier, but three against one was too much, even for him.

"Empty your pockets and raise your hands," Locland ordered, raising his gun at the first man.

One man quickly emptied his pockets and raised his hands in surrender. "Please don't kill me. I was forced to come here. I have a wife and two little girls. Please, I'm all they have left," the man begged, dropping to his knees. The second man looked at him with disgust, making no move to surrender or empty his pockets. The third one looked the same, disgusted by what the first man was doing.