Chapter XXVI

"Damn it, Annie, this is no time for your stubbornness," a rough voice growled at me. I felt something stinging my cheeks, but I couldn't get any air into my lungs to yell back. Something pounded hard and insistent against my chest, but I couldn't get enough breath to command it to stop. Something warm and soft encased my mouth, forcing air down into my lungs. I coughed, spewing water in streams out of my mouth. Fire wrapped around my waist holding me up until I could finally inhale air again.

I fought against the exhaustion, but my lids were just too heavy. I just wanted to be warm again.

"Oh no you don't," the same voice threatened. Something tapped my cheeks again. I wish it was would stop tapping and just hold itself there. It was so pleasant, so nice against my frozen skin.

"Let me see those eyes, Annie. Don't be difficult, Ryanne." Jake? What was going on? Why was he freaking out? I pried my eyes back open, hoping that my surroundings would tell me what was going on.

All I could see was Jake. He was dripping wet, but then again, so was I. He was staring at me with such fear and adoration that I didn't know what to think. I could hear him talking to someone, but everything was muffled. I just wanted to go back to sleep, but Jake was so scared. I had to stay awake; I had to make sure that everything was okay. What if something had happened to one of the pack? He turned his attention back to me, his gaze softening.

"You're safe, Annie," he whispered. I shook my head. Something was wrong; something had to be wrong. He was so scared, so frightened. What was going on? And to make matters worse, I had never felt so cold in my entire life.

"Jake," I tried, but I could barely hear myself. "I'm c-c-c-cold," I stuttered. Jake's arms tightened around me, their heat seeping through my clothes and stinging my skin.

"I know, baby girl. I'm going to get your warm," he said with surety I knew that I would be all right. I was in Jake's arms; I would always be alright. So I stopped fighting. Jake's skin burned to the touch, like when you stick cold feet in bath water that was too warm. I was shivering, my entire body wet and cold. Why was I... Bella and the cliff flashed through my mind. So my sister hadn't managed to kill me. But then where was she? And why wasn't Jake with her?

I could feel myself being jostled in my fleshy cage and moved quickly, the wind freezing my skin a little more. I wanted to ask him to make it stop, to beg him to make the cold go away. But I couldn't move my lids back to look at him, couldn't move enough to get his attention, couldn't say anything. So I let the darkness that was crowding me take over.

Suddenly, I was warm, everything that had been wrong melted away. Jake stood in front of me, wearing his favorite green t-shirt and jeans. The forest was bright, sunny, and green; the way it only was in the summer. "Please don't hate me, Annie," he said quietly.

"Why would I hate you?" I asked back. He stepped towards me, his hand reaching out for me. Bella appeared behind him, her hand on his arm.

"Jacob," she whispered. He turned around then, following Bella out the door and away from me.

"Jake, don't leave me," I begged. I shouted after him, but he still walked away. "Please don't leave, Jake." He turned then, racing back towards me and wrapping his arms around my torso.

"I'm not going anywhere, Annie," he promised. The world around me changed and I found myself in a warm bed, the cold returning, but with less force this time. I was snuggled against something that was hard and warm and cozy. I didn't want to move for the rest of my life. I wanted to stay here and absorb this heat for an eternity. Something warm fell away from my face, leaving a trail of buzzing behind it.

•••

I woke up afraid to move. My back was to a heater, but I didn't remember how I'd gotten there. A large, heavy object was draped over my waist, anchoring me to the wall. A cat was purring somewhere behind me, the sound comforting me like nothing I had ever felt. Why was there a cat? I hated cats. Finally, I opened my eyes, waiting for a few moments as they adjusted to the darkness.