Chapter 26--Lilia

He knew my mother.

I don't know what scared me more--the fact that Kvir had a picture of her in his castle, or the fact that he knew her.

As in, actually spoke to her, knew her.

I fiddled with the lace on my sleeve, twisting it around my fingers.

How did he know her? She died. She never told me anything about him, never even mentioned him.

It never crossed my mind that he may be lying. I trusted him too much to believe that.

"Are you ready?"

I looked up from my clasped hands and stared into the crimson eyes of Kvir. His forehead was crinkled together in thought--or worry.

I sighed and scooted back into the comforting folds of the couch, turning my gaze to the crackling fireplace in front of me. My bare toes curled under themselves on the carpet below my feet, successfully hitting one of the books I hadn't put back on the library shelves from the other day.

"No," I laughed quietly. "But now's a good a time as any."

The cushion next to me caved in as Kvir sat down on it slowly.

He thumped his feet. "I haven't tried this before," he warned. "It may not work. Or it may work. Or it'll hurt like the dickens and do one or the other."

I nodded, my heart in my throat.

"Are you sure you want to know?" Kvir whispered. He raised his gaze and locked eyes with me.

"Yes."

His red eyes hardened. Carefully, a cold hand reached up and touched my cheek. I could feel his long claws catch some knots at the nape of my neck. The other hand reached up and did the same thing on my other cheek, cupping my head in his hands.

I kept my gaze level with his.

"Close your eyes."

I raised my eyebrows.

"Please."

Slowly, my eyelids shut. Weirdly enough, I could feel him move his head closer to mine--personal bubble, I guess. I resisted the urge to lean away. I never liked being close to people.

"Keep in mind," he began, "that this goes both ways. I'm latching onto one of my memories and shoving you in. I have the easy part."

He sighed again. "Just remember-- whatever you start to see, I will be able to see too."

I nodded. "Gotcha."

His hand on my cheek clinched. A swooping sensation felt like it started in my gut and crawled up to my head. Then, as soon as it started, it vanished.

Slowly, I opened my eyes. We still sat on the couch, the fireplace still crackled--nothing had changed.

My heart sank. "It didn't work?" I asked.

Kvir removed his hand from my cheek and stood carefully, swaying lightly when he was upright. A bead of perspiration trickled down his forehead.

He pointed down to the couch where the two books had been. "Well, the books aren't there anymore," he stated.

I looked to the side. He's right. They aren't there.

"You could've hidden them."

Kvir chuckled. "You think I would've hidden books so that you would think we are...well, wherever we are?"