THREE

"But I'm just trying to love you, in any kind of way. But I find it hard to love you girl, when you're far away."

***

(This may seem rushed, but I only wanted to give you background info for the first two chapters

(This may seem rushed, but I only wanted to give you background info for the first two chapters. I really want to focus on this story during Half Blood Prince. There's always a method to the madness, enjoy.)

  SEVERAL ANXIETY FILLED MONTHS had passed and before she knew it, Alice's fifth year had finally ended. A lot had happened, Dumbledore returned, Lord Voldemort officially returned, and worst of all, Lucius Malfoy and Thorfinn Rowle had been put in Azkaban.

Gemma Rowle had fled from the Ministry in time, but her husband and colleague hadn't been so lucky. Alice and Draco were solemn ever since they found out the news, and although their friends had tried to comfort them, nothing seemed to work.

Just before Alice left Hogwarts she had gotten an owl from her mother, explaining how they would be staying at Malfoy Manor. Alice didn't know why, but she figured it was for safety precautions. The rare occasions where they was ever some sort of trust issue, Malloy Manor was the official backup space for the Rowle's to seek refuge.

Draco took Alice's hand in his own, something they had both grown accustomed to ever since finding out the news less then a month ago. She ran her finger over his ring, a tick she had picked up.

"We'll be alright," Draco reassured her for what seemed like the hundredth time, but they both knew it was the only way to have a quick feeling of comfort. "It's alright."

They both, without a doubt, knew it wasn't alright. The letter Alice received was so brief- too brief. And it really only meant one thing; it was because they were being watched.

    By everyone and everything.

Malfoy Manor was always Alice's favorite place to visit in the winter, but in the summer it reminded her of a prison. A prison with comfortable beds and good food, but a prison nonetheless. The hedges surrounding the witch and wizard made them feel so small, and the lack of color in the courtyard only added to their somber mood.

Draco hadn't let go of Alice's hand even as they entered the large home. That was until Alice saw her mother and tearfully ran to hug her.

"I missed you so much, mum," Alice cried," you and dad."

Gemma held back the tears trying to escape her eyes, she had been crying too much, as she rubbed her daughters back.

"It's alright, Al, I'm here now." The mother wiped the tears from her daughters face, giving her a quick kiss on the forehead.

Moments like this seemed to come rarely, but her parents had never been as unloving as the Malfoy's. That was something Alice had always been thankful for.

"Ah, Draco, look at how handsome you are." Alice's mum gave Draco a quick hug, as Narcissa embraced Alice in her arms.

Narcissa had always loved Alice like the daughter she never had and Gemma had always loved Draco as the son she never had. The two mothers would always tease their children about being together, but in reality they had serious conversations about the two over tea.

"You look lovely, Alice, beautiful as always." Narcissa smiled, hugging the emotional girl tighter, before pulling away.

"The elves have made some tea and biscuits in the kitchen, we'll be in the living room if you need us." Narcissa said, rubbing Alice's arm in a comforting manner. "Draco, show Alice to her usual room, her luggage is already there."

Draco nodded, taking Alice's hand in his own as they walked to the kitchen.

Alice was always fascinated by Malfoy Manor, every time she came she discovered a new piece of art or a new room. Walking to the kitchen, she saw a picture of herself and Draco framed on the wall. She furrowed her brow, she didn't remember taking that. 

Shrugging it off, she realized she should've questioned her mum about her father's absence, but she also knew it wasn't the time.

"These are still the best biscuits I've ever had," Alice hummed, stuffing a few in her mouth.

"The biscuits at Hogwarts are shit compared to these."

Draco nodded in agreement, sipping his tea to get the dry feeling out of his mouth.

Within ten minutes the two teens had eaten the platter of cookies, quickly rushing out of the kitchen and up the stairs to their rooms.

Draco followed Alice into what could be considered her other bedroom, planting himself on the large bed.

"Yeah, don't mind me, I'll just be unpacking."

Alice stared at Draco who was staring at the fake stars on the ceiling, shrugging.

"Merlin, you're such a git," Alice sighed as Draco laughed.

She crawled onto the bed, laying beside Draco, who had enchanted the ceiling so that the stars were twinkling.

Alice yawned laying her head against Draco's shoulder, "how lovely."

The next few minutes were silent with Draco thinking and Alice slowly falling asleep. As he looked down at his shoulder he smiled, noticing the small girl had fallen asleep.

Slowly getting off the bed he began to tuck Alice in, remembering to kiss her on the forehead before leaving.