Chapter 79

**Fred’s POV**

“Fred, dear, can you find Maddie so she can say goodbye to Remus, Tonks and Sirius?” Mum asks.

“Sure,” I say hesitantly. I noticed George had looked a bit upset when he left the table and Maddie left soon after. I walk into the house hoping and praying they’re not… The thought is too vile.

I sneak up the stairs and hear them talking. I almost die of relief.

“What do you mean, that’s the problem?” Maddie asks.

“We’re trying to grow up too fast…”

“We have to; we’re married with a daughter!”

“And we shouldn’t be!” George exclaims. There’s silence for a moment.

“What do you mean ‘we shouldn’t be’?” Maddie says, her voice slightly louder. George exhales loudly. I try to back down the stairs, but it creaks loudly and I freeze.

“I… I don’t think you should have married me,” George says hesitantly.

“WHAT?” Maddie cries, “why did you propose then?”

“I’m in love with you, but that doesn’t mean we’re right for each other!”

Oh God I want to be out of here so badly.

“Why wouldn’t we be right for each other?” Maddie asks, her voice soft again. I cringe hearing it. It sounds like it did when George was with Vanessa.

“I just think… You’d be better with… Someone else…”

“Like who?”

I lean closer to the door, but don’t catch the name. I do, however catch Maddie’s reaction.

“FRED?!”

I jump slightly, thinking she’d caught me.

“Why would you think that?”

I almost fall over as I realise I was the name.

“You’re just… Perfect for each other,” George says, his voice choked, “you’re in perfect sync with each other, you always seem to know what the other is thinking or feeling and how to act and react to that.”

“Because we’re close, just like you and him,” Maddie says, “but I’m not suggesting you marry him!”

Yeah, twincest isn’t my thing.

“Still…”

“George, you’re being ridiculous,” Maddie says, her voice moving closer to the door. Panicking I jump from where I am to the bottom of the stairs… And trip over.

“Ah! My face!” I yell.

“Fred?”

I look up at Maddie and George guiltily.

“Tripped on the mat,” I lie, “uh, Maddie, Sirius, Remus and Tonks are leaving.”

“Thanks,” she says, walking past me. George gives me a hand up.

“You heard, huh?” he asks.

“You weren’t exactly being quiet.”

“You weren’t exactly far from the door,” he counters. I blush.

“I did try to creep away,” I point out, “and I ruined my face.”

“Good job.”

I follow George into the garden where Maddie is saying goodbye to her mismatched family.