CHAPTER 2

A/N : Long time, no see?

Here's the update that you guys were waiting for.

~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~

Violet's POV-

"Where are they?" I ask a maid when I enter the palace only to find it isolated.

I had pressed the doorbell and surprisingly enough, the maid answered instead of Amy who is the first to jolt up from her seat when she hears the ring.

"Amelia is gone to run some personal errands with Calvin. Samuel is in the library upstairs." She says.

"Oh alright. Thankyou!" I nod and turn around to exit the drawing room but she stops me.

"Samuel is not in the mood to entertain any visitor right now. He is to be disturbed only if it's something really important." She says in her meek voice trying to convey the message which otherwise would've sounded authoritative if came from someone else.

"I will just check up on him from afar and leave him be. I respect the space he wants." I assure her and leave the room.

As I make my way upstairs, I scratch my head for causes of the sullen and unwelcoming environment of this cheery palace.
Long before I know it, I find myself in front of the library. I open it and take in the sight of the enormous collection of books I'd love to dig myself in. The library was as silent as a crypt and I felt like a thief on mission as my steps were way too cautious for a random intruder. 

I craned my neck sideways and looked for the blue-eyed blonde who had been avoiding me since yesterday but he was nowhere to be seen. Seems like the maid didn't know well about his whereabouts. I show myself out of the different aisles consisting of piles of books which were literally shouting to be read. Just when I was going through the mystery/thriller section, my attention was grabbed by a room in the library whose door was left ajar. I have been here many times but I never came across this room. It was maybe because I was holding an Agatha Christie in my hand that my mind directly started thinking of all the worst scenarios. 

V, would you just relax? 

I scold myself and walk towards it after keeping the book at its place. The door wasn't left open enough for me to peek inside. The only way to satisfy my curiosity was to open it a little more wider which I did. It was a huge room, larger than I had expected and in the middle of it, on a chair was Sam whose head was resting on the table with his hands around a book. It seemed like he had dozed off while reading it. I checked the room to see its walls with shelves containing first editions of all the greatest classics. I stare in awe at the room while mentally squealing at the collection of books I have always wanted.   

I was too engrossed in my own happy bubble that I didn't notice a wall void of any shelves. I walked a little closer and saw a frame of a piece of paper hung on it. Due to height constraints, I couldn't make out what the piece of that paper read. I stood on my toes to reach that level. All I could make out was that it was just a single sentence handwritten by someone. 

I tried once more which turned out successful and my eyes quickly started skimming through that sentence. 

'My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep; the more I give to thee, the more---

My toes couldn't take it anymore so I came back to my normal stance with a 'oomph'. Before I could try reading it again-

"The more I have, for both are infinite." His voice sent shivers down my spine. 

I turned around with a guilty expression on my face. It felt like a burglar getting caught but then again, invading personal space is a not a good thing after all. 

"Hi..um morning." I awkwardly manage to say. 

"What are you doing here?" He asks while cleansing his face with a napkin kept near the book. 

"I wanted to meet you and the maid said that you'll be here." I shrug. 

"Why did you want to meet me? Anything important?" He asks me formally. 

"Why have you been so off since yesterday? I am sorry that I came here. It seems like some private study but I had this urge-" I say but he cuts me off.

"Urge to meet me?" He smirks. 

I shake my head at his stupid question but my smile gives it all away. 

"It isn't some private study. Private library? Yes, I'd say that. This used to be Gabrielle's." He says with a faraway look on his face.

"I see. This quote is nice. Its from Romeo and Juliet, isn't it?" I ask him. 

"Yes, it is. My dad had dedicated this particular quote to Gabrielle. She loved reading classics so he had this whole private room made for her, only her. While the whole library was used by everybody in the house, this place was accessed only by her. My dad brought in the first editions of all the classics he could find and gifted that collection to her on her birthday. When she used to be home which was just once in a year or maybe more, she spent most of her time here." He sighed. 

"That's a very romantic thing to do. Your dad must've loved her way too much." I say in awe of the new information I found. 

"Yes, he did. Today is their anniversary." He sighs again. 

"Oh. Do you want to be left alone?" I ask in a bare whisper. 

"I'd like that." He says honestly. 

"Alright! I'll see you." I say turning around to walk away. 

"Thanks for checking up on me." He says.

"Don't mention it." I wave it off and walk outside of the room. 

_____________________________________________________________________

As I walked out of the mansion towards my car, my thoughts involuntarily shift towards Sam. The way his eyes drowned in longing and the way his voice came out drained with pain pierced my heart through. It was beyond heartbreaking to see him like this but there is nothing I can do and help him with. No wonder he had been oddly quiet since yesterday. I wonder how Amelia and Calvin are holding up about this. 

I settle down in my car and drive along the road to my house. I divert my mind by playing songs but nothing can make me take out the image of Sam and his tortured face. How easy was it for Gabrielle to just easily move on with her life after creating such a mess!

Sometimes people fall in love only to fall out of it. Or maybe, they don't really fall in love. They just fall in love with the idea of being in love or maybe they love being loved, that's all. 

I shake my head to break the reverie of thoughts as my surroundings roll by through the window. I drive up my lane towards my house which is clearly visible. As soon as I park my car in the driveway, I make my way towards the door. Mom opens the door as soon as I ring the bell. 

The moment I step inside, I regret the very fact that I came home. There she was; dressed as elegantly as ever, royally drinking the cup of coffee my mom made it for her and having no idea of the amount of pain she caused to her own sons. 

Gabrielle Mayer, you disgust me. 

_________________________________________________________

A/N- 

Hello readers! I am sorry for the short and the late update but my schedule leaves no room for writing. 

Anyways, I hope you liked this chapter.

Vote, comment and spread the word:) 

Love always, 

KHUSHALI