Chapter 14

*Catherine's P.O.V.*

We arrived at Nick's house around half past ten. The living room was already pretty crowded, but the other rooms were mostly empty which was kind of a miracle.

At least Nick won't have to take naked bodies out of his room the next morning.

"I'm going to hand Nick his gift and then step out to the rooftop, are you going to be okay?" I asked Hayden.

"Yup," he smirked. "It's not like I can't drink or anything," he made fun of me. "If you can't find me, just text me when we are leaving."

"Or maybe I'll just leave without you," I rolled my eyes trying to stop my creepy little smirk wanting to form on my lips.

"You would never."

"Yeah, yeah," I admitted. "Now go have some fun,"  I pushed him towards the wild, dancing crowd and sea of horny teenagers.

I walked towards the kitchen searching for Nick. In one hand I was holding a gift bag with Nick's new pair of trainers and with the other I was trying to protect myself from the drunk intruders of my personal space.

"Hey, birthday boy!" I shouted in order to be heard once I spotted Nick.

"Hey, you," Nick poked my ribs attempting to tickle me. "Where's Hayden? I thought you were coming together," he asked, clearly confused at the fact that I was alone.

"We did. He went to grab a drink or something. I'm designated driver," I sighed quite over-dramatically. "Thank goodness for your rooftop."

"Uh, you and that rooftop..." he joked.

What can I say? Nick's rooftop, was what I called my favourite place. I had first stepped out on it his party for his fifteenth birthday. I don't know why, but up there, I felt free. Nothing mattered and nobody could bother me.

I saw Lucy coming from behind Nick as she smiled at me.

"Hey, Cat," she greeted me, falling into Nick's arms. She was kind of tipsy already.

"Hey," I simply said, not really in the mood to start a conversation with a drunk girl. "So, Nick," I turned to him. "Here's your gift, from Hayden and I."

Nick's lips turned into a genuine smile. "Guys!" he shook his head. "You didn't have to buy me a gift."

"It's nothing special," I smirked already knowing what his reaction would be. "Just a new pair of football trainers."

"What the fuck? I love you guys, you literally didn't have to," he smoothly moved Lucy and crushed me into a bear hug. I laughed and Lucy looked away. I took that as my cue to leave. I didn't want her to get jealous because of me.

"We love you too, geez. I have to go now, though. Have fun!" skipped my way to the guest room from which I climbed out to reach my favourite spot. Once I got there, I found an oh-so-familiar figure texting on his phone.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, not even caring about my harsh tone.

"What are you doing here?" he asked back, not even sparing me a glance.

"That is my spot," I protested.

"What are you, a dog?" I saw him smirking, which was kind of annoying if you ask me.

"Why are you even here? You are not a tad close to being Nick's friend," I told him as I sat down.

"I'm his cousin," he shrugged.

"Liar."

"How would you know?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I would have known. Now spill," I pointed at him.

He sighed and turned his head to face me. "Well, Nick invited my best friend and I am his plus one."

"Liar. Again," I took my time to examine his face in the dark. His eyes seemed darker, but thank the perfect angle of the street lamps which threw the spotlight to his sharp jaw bones.

"Now what?" he furrowed his thick eyebrows.

"Nothing," I laughed at his confused face. "That makes sense. Your best friend meaning Ryan?"

"Yeah," he nodded and looked away. "This jerk is probably looking for his new toy at the moment," he joked.

"How about you?" I challenged which made him face me once again.

"I'm on a break," he chuckled, his eyes not leaving mine.

On a break? From being a player?

How funny.

I simply nodded and looked away, feeling tingles inside. But I wouldn't let myself fall. Not for that.

"Elsa misses you," Tyler informed me.

"I miss her too," I put my hands between my knees trying to warm them up.

"Do you want to hang out at the park tomorrow?" I saw him scratching the back of his head.

Why don't we have some fun with mister player.

"Are you asking me on a date?" I asked smirking.

"What? No! I meant with Elsa!" He protested.

"Sure you did," I laughed at him. "Are you using your little sister to be with me?" I smirked again.

"No!"

"Right," I laughed. "I'm joking, you idiot. Of course I'll come. I have to give Elsa her present anyway," I said smiling at him.

A wave of silence flew between us, but it wasn't really an uncomfortable one.

"You're really beautiful tonight," he said after a moment, looking at me.

"I bet you told that to every girl you passed by on your way here," I stated emotionless.

I know his plan. He just wants to mess with me and get me to fall for him just like he does to every other girl. I won't make that happen, though.

"I told you I'm on a break, jeez," he waved his hands in the air out of frustration.

"Why?" I blurted out.

"Because."

"Bye!"

"You're leaving?" he asked surprised.

"Nope. You are."

° ° °