26

A/N *NOT EDITED*
SIDE NOTE - Follow me for updates on smokescreen! :)
3+ Votes & Comments for next chapter! (I hope this one is okay!) 

*****

One Year Ago...

'Adelaide!'

Adelaide turned at the sound of her name being called, glancing up. 'What can I do for you Alexander?'

Adelaide watched in amusement as Alec's face crumpled in distaste at the use of his full name. 'We've got a mission. Nothing crazy, just a few low level demons, I could use your help.'

Adelaide glanced back down at the tablet in her hands, ignoring the small burst of fear that formed in her chest. 'Are Jace and Isabelle going?'

Alec looked confused, but his words came out tinged with suspicion. 'Yeah, I think so, why?'

'Then you won't miss me if I don't go.' Adelaide refused to meet Alec's gaze, feeling his eyes burning a hole in her skull.

Alec sighed. 'C'mon Adelaide, I want you there - I need you there.'

'I thought you said they were low-level demons? Troublemakers?' Adelaide shot back gently.

'They are but-'

'Then you don't need me there, Alec.'

Alec's frown deepened as he sat beside her at the conference table in the middle of the institute. 'Alright, what's wrong?'

'Nothing.'

'Don't lie to me Addy. I know you and you aren't yourself.'

'Maybe I just don't want to fight anything today.' Adelaide shrugged carelessly.

Alec sighed impatiently. 'Or yesterday, or the day before or last week – Adelaide you haven't been on an assignments in over a month.'

'I'm better being here.' Adelaide's voice was tight. He was right; she hadn't been out in the field since she'd arrived back from Idris two days ahead of schedule. She just hadn't expected Alec to be the one to catch on to it and be the one to confront her.

'Adelaide-'

'No.'

Alec sighed angrily as he stood up, going to leave when Adelaide's hand shot out, catching his wrist. 'Don't be mad at me, please Alec.'

Alec took one look at her face, noticing the tired droop of her eyes and the worry that seemed to be permanently etched there and his anger faded, his expression crumbling into resignation as he gripped her arm, pulling her up. Alec wrapped his arm around her in a gentle hug. 'You can talk to me you know. About anything.' He mumbled into her hair.

Adelaide relaxed into the embrace, nodding. 'I know Alec.'

Alec released her, shooting her a smile as he headed towards the main hall where Isabelle and Jace were no doubt waiting impatiently for him.

'Hey Alec?'

Alec stopped, giving Adelaide a questioning glance.

'There's a load of my new arrows runed and ready to go in the armoury. Use them if you want.'

Alec nodded, a smirk forming on his lips. 'Why do you always make them? You hardly ever shoot.'

Adelaide laughed lightly. 'I don't, but you do, and Raziel knows that my arrows are always better than yours.' She smirked.