Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

One night, about a week after the third task was revealed to be a large maze, Cedric returned to the common room looking extremely pale. “Charissa,” He began. “Do you remember that letter I handed you before Christmas?”

“The one that was from my mum, yes.” Charissa replied.

“What did it say?” Cedric asked.

Charissa paused. “Nothing.” She said quickly.

“Charissa, this is important. What exactly did it say?” Cedric asked again.

“I told you, nothing important!” Charissa exclaimed, on edge suddenly. She pulled her arms into her sleeves, covering her fists with the fabric. “Why do you want to know anyway?”

“It's important.” Cedric said lamely.

“You said that already. Why's it so important?” Charissa said.

“I can't tell you.” Cedric apologized. “Just please, what's in the letter?”

“I can't tell you.” Charissa replied. She grabbed her books and dashed out of the common room, covering her arms as if she had done something to them.

“Rissy, Dumbledore asked me to!” Cedric called after her, but Charissa had already run out of earshot.

She headed down to the lake dock, which had become her quiet place to work whenever the castle became too much. Dropping her books, she dove into the water, allowing the icy cold initial shock to focus her thoughts. Why had Cedric been asking about the letter? Charissa had destroyed it as soon as she had finished. There was no way he could know, could he? It was impossible. That secret was safe as long as her arms stayed covered.

Charissa hated the long-sleeved robes at Hogwarts. The lake was the only place she could safely take them off without worrying about it being seen. Swimming back up to the surface, she peeled off the soaked robes and laid them out on the dock before diving back down to the murky depths.

“Charissa?” Someone called. The voice was muffled through the water, Charissa could barely make out her name. She swam up to the surface, careful to keep her arms underwater. It was Cedric. “Rissy, I'm sorry.” He apologized.

“It's alright.” Charissa responded. “I shouldn't have run out like that.”

“Will you please come back inside before you freeze now?” Cedric asked. Charissa nodded and swam over to the dock. She pulled herself up and froze suddenly, remembering her arm was completely visible. She quickly tried to hide it, but it was too late. Cedric had already seen it. There could be no hiding now.

He had seen the Dark Mark burned into her left arm.