Chapter 33: Red Sky

"You've been sulking for three days Izzy, what's up?"

I looked up from my book and locked eyes with a concerned looking Frank. 

"Oh nothing," I said, flashing him a smile. "Warped Tour is tiring you know, driving around and constantly changing location...I'm just a bit tired."

"I'm not an idiot," he said, flopping down beside me and grabbing my book from my hand as I pretend to go back to reading it. He closed it and threw it onto the ground. "Talk to Uncle Frankie."

He grinned at me as he said this, making me smile. I still didn't say anything, I just bent down to grab my  book from the floor, but he quickly kicked it away from me.

"I'm just pissed with that new make-up artist," I sighed. "She's been with us for a week and all she does is make shitty little remarks to me and flirt with my husband."

"Oh," Frank said, sounding surprised.

"What?" I asked, looking at him and hoping for reassurance.

"Nothing," Frank said, shaking his head. 

"What?!" I demanded.

"I just...I thought...I thought you were jealous of the other woman," Frank whispered quietly. "Gerard hates that make-up artist- he's always complaining about her to us."

"O-other woman?" I hissed back, attempting to whisper but almost shouting instead. "Frankie what are you talking about?"

"I don't want to get involved and cause an argument between you and Gerard," Frank said, looking awkward. I stared at him with sad eyes until he eventually gave in. "I honestly don't think anyhing is going on between them, and I don't think anything will and you have nothing to worry about."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said, my voice shaking.

"He's just made pretty good friends with some girl who's in a band, they play before us every night," he explained. "I thought you were jealous of her. Nothing is going on though."

I tried to think about who Frank was talking about but I honestly couldn't think of anyone. Then I remembered that after performing, Gerard had been going to hang out with other bands and told me not to wait up for him and just to go to sleep without him. 

"Why haven't I met her?" I asked, my voice now quiet.

"I don't know," Frank said. "Gerard always tells us that you're tired and you've gone to sleep. Listen Izzy- Gerard would never cheat on you. He loves you more than anything in the world. Maybe he just feels awkward about having female friends around you."

I decided that I'd heard enough and got up to leave the tour bus. It was early evening and the sky was a beautiful mixture of blue and red, mixed in with clouds and a few aeroplane contrails. The sound of live music was filling the air in the distance along with the sound of people cheering and laughing. Normally I would love to be here, surrounding by music and my friends, but all I really wanted to do was go back to my home and curl up with Gerard on the couch, away from everybody else. Sighing, I lit up a cigarette and looked around for Gerard, but I hadn't seen him in so long that I didn't even know where to look for him. I didn't even know if he had come back to my bunk and slept there after I'd fallen asleep and left before I woke up, or if he just didn't come to my bunk at all last night. I found Mikey smoking nearby and asked him if he had seen Gerard, praying that he would tell me Gerard was sleeping or doing something that didn't involve another woman.

"Yeah, he's with Mindless Self Indulgence on their tour bus," Mikey said. He smiled at me after he said it, but my paranoia was telling me that he looked like he felt awkward. He pointed me in the direction of the tour bus that Gerard was supposedly on and I approached with caution, my heart beating almost out of my chest. I knew myself that Gerard wouldn't cheat on me, but something didn't feel right. As I arrived at the bus, the door was open so I stepped on nervously, looking around for Gerard. I heard his voice long before I saw his face.

"I can't!!" he shrieked with laughter. I listened in to the conversation as I searched around for where he was. 

"That's the rule of the drinking game!" came another male voice. "Take one shot from Lindsey's mouth, and another shot from the bottle."

My heart sank as I stepped into the back of the bus and saw a group of people sat on the floor, a bottle of rum in the middle of them. I watched Gerard lock lips with a woman ten times more attractive than the make-up artist I was previously so jealous of. I realised that for whatever reason he was doing it as part of a game, but it was a drinking game. Gerard was drinking again. Everyone in the circle was cheering Gerard's name as a way of congratulating him for sucking the rum out of this woman's mouth as I stood frozen in the doorway.

"Uh...Gerard," said one of the guys from the group. "You know this girl? I think a fan has found her way onto the bus and now she's frozen with fear at the sight of you."

Gerard turned his head and his face turned to shock as he saw me.

"Izzy!" he said, sounding terrified. He stood up quickly in an attempt to come over to me but he fell backwards, causing everyone to laugh once more. He was drunk. I turned to leave the bus, trying to figure out whether I was sad or angry, but I figured right now I was neither. I just felt numb. I heard the sound of Gerard's voice behind me but I decided to just keep walking so that I wouldn't have to look him in the eyes for a while longer.

"Isabel!"

I turned around and looked at Gerard stumblng over to me. His black hair was messy and covering his bloodshot eyes.

"Gerard," I said, my voice quiet and shaky again as it was earlier when I was speaking to Frank. "I don't want you to try and explain to me what I saw."

"I was not, I didn't, I....I was making friends, I...Izzy," he said, trying to take my hand and nearly falling on top of me. 

"Listen to me Gerard," I said sternly, holding him upright until he got his balance. "Go and sober up and talk to me about this later. Or go back to your party, whatever I do not care. But you need to listen to me right now. I do not give a shit that I just saw you practically kissing another woman because I know you, and I know you love me, and I know that you wouldn't do that to me. I'm not usually the jealous type, and I'm just going to pretend I never saw it. But the fact that you would drink just to make friends? You told me that you weren't drinking anymore- you swore it to me once. Don't break promises with me Gerard."

"I don't want you to leave me," he begged, his eyes filling up with tears.

"I'm not going to leave you," I said in a reassuring tone, but I was still upset. "I married you for fucks sake, that means I'm never going to leave you. But if you kiss another woman whose mouth is filled with rum again, I swear to God I will not talk to you for a year."

"Izzy I love you," he said, trying to take my hand. "I fucked up didn't I?"

"Just go sober up Gerard," I sighed, pulling my hand away from his and turning to walk away.