CAUTION: in a drunken state

“You can put me down now” I mumbled after he had carried me out of the parking lot.

All he did was look at me.

“No seriously, I’m not a baby” I rolled my eyes. I couldn’t even bring myself to acknowledge that I had just been crying like one.

“What’s wrong with you?” He asked.

“What do you mean?”

“The Trish I know would never find herself in that kind of situation. The Trish I know, isn’t an idiot”

“Put me down if I’m such an idiot, then” I said wriggling free and plopping onto the ground. It took me a couple seconds to find my centre of gravity but once I did I straightened out my skirt and began walking towards the club.

“We’re not going back in there” He yelled so I could hear him.

“And why’s that?”

“Because it’s almost two in the morning and your mom is probably gonna wonder where you are. I need to get you home” He shrugged.

“That’s not your job”

“It would be your siblings’” He muttered, “I thought Talia and Elliot were gonna get you home so I left with Taylor but then I saw them in the car beside us at a stop light.”

I figured Taylor was the brunette bombshell.

“What made you come back? I could’ve found my way back alright”

He stared at me for what felt like a million years and then his face changed.

“I knew you’d probably get yourself into a stupid situation like this”

“I didn’t beg you to come get me” I turned to him, “I didn’t beg you to come and punch that guy, heck, I didn’t even beg you to come and live with us!”

“It’s the alcohol talking” He said knowingly looking at me.

“You know what they say, there’s truth to the words of a drunk” I rolled my eyes. Who did he think he was, babying me?

“Just stop talking and let me get you home” He said calmly.

“I’m not a little kid, I can handle myself. I’m a grown woman who has the power to do things on her~”

Suddenly he was standing right in front of me.

“Seth?” I whispered confused by the look in his eyes. He looked mystified.

“Shut up” He mumbled looking down at me.

“I’m just stating that I could’ve handled myself back there. I would’ve figured something out” I said quietly unable to look away from him.

“Could you have?” He said slowly looking at my lips.

“I think so” I whispered.

“You”

“Pardon?” I said confused.

“You asked me what made me come back” He gingerly swept a hair that had gone astray, out of my eyes.

“I don’t get it” I said stupidly.

He laughed slightly and bent down to touch his forehead to mine, “You don’t have to”

He moved away, “Let’s get going”

I followed him, mute and confused.

The car ride home was intensely quiet with me being between the world of the drunk and the world of the normal, and Seth, oddly enough, being deep in thought. I watched his strong arms make beats on the steering wheel at every stop light and the way he gently wrested one arm on the window sill when the light turned green.