Chapter 12- She Remembered

The jolt of shock that runs through his body caught him off guard.  Stefan could feel the beat of his pulse pounding through his neck as it turns red.

Being skillful, tactful, calculating, and alert were a combination of qualities he acquired as a Navy SEAL and unfortunately no amount of training could have ever prepared him for what he just witnessed. When dealing with any situation only one very important key trait was required.  Control.  And Stefan just slipped. 

To unexpectedly see his face featured on the cover of the British business magazine Square Mile, by far one of the most unsettling experiences he'd ever felt.  Of course he recognized the issue he was interviewed for months ago,  but he didn't expect to see a picture of himself in her lap.  When he, in all intents and purposes, was that very same man dressed in disguise. 

Would she recognize the similarities?

It was impossible.

His hair was darker and swept neatly in a hair style from the 60's era. His eyes were a different color thanks to the colored contacts.  A beard slowly formed over his jaw and upper lip diminishing the size of his hard pressed lips. Square shaped nerdy glasses framed his eyes, the lenses slightly enhancing the size of the shape. His overall appearance changed so much when he walked into his kitchen two days ago, his cook who'd known him since a child, did a double take and nearly dropped the stack of plates she was carrying.

Composing himself with a nonchalant expression, he takes a deep breath, arches an eyebrow and nods at the magazine. "You looked like you found a long lost treasure." He observed choosing his words wisely aiming to hit a nerve and try to elicit a reaction from her. Stefan was dead set on seeking the hidden feelings inside the depths of his Camelia flower.  Her walls were delicate yet at the same time impenetrable.

What was she thinking?

Although he did not show it, he was surprised when a deeper blush coated her cheeks.  That reaction just confirmed his suspicions.  She felt something–for him, for Stefan.  He covered his small smile with his fist.  The star stuck, dreamy look passing over Camelia's eyes while viewing the magazine should have been enough confirmation but Stefan needed to make sure. 

She remembered. 

"Harldy." Exaggerating her reply with a roll of her eyes. She avoided his gaze. Trying to think of something to say. Stealing a glance at the magazine and looking back at him, he gives her a challenging stare that was not hard to miss. She tosses the issue back down on the table and shrugs, "That's Stefan Steel."

The way she said his name, with such confidence and recognition made him feel like he belonged to her. 

"Yes, I can see that." He slung his arm on the back of the sofa casually. "It sounds to me like you know him." He stated matter-of-factly. Little known to Camelia, he was hoping she'd take the bait and fall into his trap, feeling it's best to press the issue while it was still fresh.  Stefan was determined to know what she felt about the real him after all these years.

She made a sidelong glance back at the tables center where she threw the magazine, pursing her perfectly plump lips.  He noticed her demeanor change, it was more guarded.

His dark angel was holding back.

She took a strand of her long hair and began intertwining it between her immaculately manicured red fingers.  It was a nervous habit.  Stefan internally smiled.  He loved watching her squirm in discomfort. She was hiding some forbidden secret she didn't want him to knowing about.  He could feel it.