CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Author’s Note: I’m late again!  But it’s Wednesday and here is Chapter 16!

Copyright © 2013 by Janet Gurtler

Chapter Sixteen

I saw Kya and James every day at work, but with the rainy weather, we hardly had time to talk. Rain meant better business at Splatterfest. Dad must have been rocking his rain dances in his back office. Kya spent most of her free time hanging out with Lucas, the way she always did in the beginning stages of a relationship. Poor James was busy with his mom, who was having a bad flare-up.

When the day came for us to go to Seattle, the sun finally came out and I spent most of the morning at work texting Levi. We’d been texting at least three or four times a day. We were getting to know each other and we’d had coffee together again without being interrupted by Kya. He even showed up for another yoga session.

But still nothing had happened between us. As in lip-locks. Or groping. My head was confused, my body a rage of chaotic hormones. Did he like me? I had no idea how to read the signs. I wanted to ask Kya, but she was busy with Lucas. A couple of times, I thought about calling Chantelle for advice, but that felt like cheating. James wasn’t any help at all when it came to relationships.

After work was finally over, Kya came to my house to help me get ready. She primped me, pulled me, sprayed me, and even lent me some clothes. When I started down the stairs, Indie was in the kitchen and he glanced up and frowned. I descended slowly, clutching the railing for support. The kitchen reeked of popcorn and he opened the microwave door and pulled out a fully popped bag.

“You look like a little kid playing dress-up,” he called as he dropped the bag of popcorn on the counter and reached for
a bowl.

“You look like a grown-up who lives with his parents and has a tapeworm in his belly.” I kept my chin high and my expression regal as I continued sauntering slowly, trying not to fall over in the heels Kya insisted I wear. I nixed a shopping trip. The dress I’d borrowed from her was tight and short. Truthfully, I felt like an imposter.

“You want her to look like a little kid, Indie,” Mom said. She stood at the sink, drying dishes that couldn’t go in the dishwasher. “Look at her. She looks so grown-up I bet some of your friends would ask her out.”

“God, Mom.” Indie ripped open the bag of popcorn and dumped the contents into the bowl. “The thought of my friends checking out Grace makes me want to vomit.”

“Good,” she said. “Because your job as older brother includes keeping them away from your little sister. Especially the cop types. They’re the worst.”

“You should know, you married one.” He shoveled a handful of popcorn into his mouth and plunked himself down at the kitchen table, watching me attempt to walk.

“I married a good one,” Mom said. “Some get corrupted or let the groupies go to their heads. And into their pants. Don’t be one of them.” She waggled her finger at him and then dried her hands on her pants.

Indie laughed. I scrunched up my face. “Mom. Seriously.”

She smiled as she picked up a large silver bowl and tucked it into a cupboard.

“Kya looks pretty hot,” Indie said, and I glanced behind me. Kya was now working the stairs like a beauty queen doing a pageant walk, even using the railing to stretch out her strut. Her dress looked like someone had gone after the hem with scissors. It barely grazed her thighs. It also hugged her butt and everyone raved about her butt. She could be a butt model. That’s probably why she liked to shake it around so much. From what I saw checking out mine in the mirror, my butt was flat and boring as if someone whacked it hard with a two by four.