Chapter 3 | Myles

I started the day off tremendously anxious. So far, my first classes of the day had been adequate. The duration of them was a brief orientation, outlining the teachers' rules and expectations, as well as the topics to be covered throughout the year.

It was to be expected that it would take some time to ease back into school life again. I was still getting slightly startled at the constant loud noises from the students. Public school was much louder compared to home schooling, with just a few other people around for company being at home. Most of my classes were with Jemma so that was really helpful. She wanted me to come meet her other friends during in recess but Mycah made me promise him I'd stick with him at lunch. I don't know which situation would be more nerve wracking. I knew my brother was probably trying his best to look out for me. I appreciated that, but spending my lunch breaks with his friends was something I was uncertain about.

I didn't know my way to the cafeteria, so I decided to wait by my locker, in the hopes of spotting Mycah or vice versa.  As I was shutting my locker door after placing my textbooks inside, my attention was captured by the guy Jemma warned me about, Roman.

Crap. His locker just happened to be across the hallway from mine. Instead of shutting my locker, I opened it back up, attempting to hide my face behind so I wouldn't be seen. My body had started shaking slightly. I knew I was overreacting, but I couldn't help it. After only having one encounter with him, I was petrified of the guy.

"Boo."

I let out a tiny yelp of fright before realizing my stupid brother had tried to give me a playful scare. My paranoia was clearly on high alert today.

"Seriously, Mycah, why would you do that?" I found nothing amusing about his antics.

"Well, I thought it'd be funny and it momentarily was. For me, anyways." The corners of his lips tugged upwards in a small smirk. His expression became one of concern upon noticing my distressed appearance. "That was quite a scare, though. Are sure you're alright?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. It's not like I have anxiety." I shrugged it off.

He gave me sheepish grin and a shrug. "Oops, sorry, bro. Let's go to the cafeteria now. They actually have decent food here."

The sight of the cafeteria was... hectic. There were people everywhere in a mix of different social groups. I spotted the table where Jemma sat with who I assumed were her friends. A part of me wanted to go over and sit with them. I could see how comfortable the all were with each other and I could only hope that they would invite me into their group. Once I actually met them, that is.

Mycah led me over towards to his table after we grabbed some lunch. My brother's table was by far the largest in the cafeteria and definitely situation in the best place; by the window. It seemed I would be sitting with Mycah's friends, whom I met earlier. This particular table clearly seated all the 'popular' senior boys and girls. Various people greeted Mycah as we approached the table but paused when noticing me standing with him. I hesitantly placed my tray of food down, before sitting in a vacant chair next to Mycah. With so many eyes focused on me, I felt out of place and that caused my stomach to become nervously agitated.

"Mycah, is this your brother?" One of them asked.

"Ooooh! What a cutie patootie." Another squealed, making me blush.

"Yeah, this is Myles," he answered.

"Awww. I'm Callie, this is Electra, and Violet." A girl with wild, frizzy hair said, pointing to the two girls standing beside her.

"We'll take care of good you, promise." Electra said.

Their comments were awkward for me to hear and made me speechless. I tried to offer them what I hoped resembled a warm smile and not a grimace.