Chapter 9

Chapter 9

*Victoria*

A few minutes after Mrs. Parker leaves for work, Colton gives me a kiss goodbye before he follows his father out the door. Before I could run into Valentina, I rush to my room to search for something to wear to the fashion show tonight. I know Colton wants Valentina and I to bond and get to know each other, but he forgets that his sister hates me.

My cell rings and I pull it from my pant pocket to see it's a call from Nadine. It's been a while since I've talked to her. There's still two more days until I see her again.

"Hey, how are you?" I answer the phone.

"I'm great. I've missed my family so much. I hate being so far away from them most of the time. I just want to get school over with so I can be here 24/7. I just found out my brother and his wife are expecting their first child. I'm going to be an aunt!"

"I'm excited for you." I say with a smile. "Do they know if it's a boy or a girl?"

"It's a girl. That means I get to buy her a bunch of cute little clothes. But enough about me and my family. How are things going at Colton's? His parents love you right?"

"Not exactly. Colton is rich, and his parents live on park avenue in this huge apartment. They have a doorman, a butler and cooks. And given I've yet to see them clean anything, I'm pretty sure they have maids too."

"Wait, Colton is rich? What is he doing living in a crappy dorm then?"

"He's not stuck up and wants to live like a normal college student."

"Well that's good. What does that have to do with his parents?"

"Well he has an older brother and a younger sister, which he told me nothing about before I came here. His mother and sister absolutely hate me and his father only likes me because I'm in law school. His older brother is the only one who genuinely likes me."

"So his mother and sister hate you because you're not filthy rich?"

"Pretty much. Colton went in to work with his father today, his brother was called into the hospital and his mother had work as well. I'm here alone with his sister and I don't know what to do. I've been trying to keep myself distracted and away from her. I have my mother's fashion show tonight and I've been looking for something to wear. I think I may have to go out and buy something. Valentina may lock me out of the house though."

"Then take her with you."

"Yeah, like she'd agree to that."

"You never know until you ask. Hey, I have to go. My mother is calling for more family time. I'll talk to you later."

"Okay, bye."

The line goes dead and I shove my phone back in my pocket. I don't have the right clothes for a fashion show. Would Valentina really go clothes shopping with me?

I leave my room and ask Pete where Valentina is. He directs me to her room and I hesitantly knock on her door. A moment passes before the door opens a crack. Valentina stands just behind her door with a frown on her face.

"Hi Valentina." I say. "I was going out to do a little bit of clothes shopping. Would you like to come?"

"I'm a little busy with homework." She replies.

"Well, how about you take a break? No need to overload your brain while on vacation." I give her a small smile.

She looks back at something in her room before heaving a sigh. "Sure, I guess." She brushes past me and I follow her down to apartment lobby.