Chapter 47 - Deal

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 47 – Deal

Nathan stretched on the plush sofa, yawning as he did. When I threw him a humourless look, he straightened up and squared his shoulders. I put down the towel, tugging on the sleeves of the button-up shirt Nathan lent me.

“Boss,” Romuald opened the door carrying a wireless phone. “It’s your bro—“

With one dangerous glare from Nathan, Romuald flinched and silenced himself almost mechanically as though he just bit his tongue.

With an exasperated sigh, Nathan snatched the phone from Romuald and gestured for the man to get out before he lost his patience, if any. Romuald scampered out of the room like his life depended on it.

“Yeah, it’s me,” Nathan muttered in an annoyed low tone as he headed to the veranda of his spacious room. I tried to eavesdrop, hoisting myself up in my seat. Once he glanced back at me, I dropped my gaze and fidgeted with the hem of my (Nathan’s) shirt which was a bit embarrassing now that I thought about it. His voice amplified a bit and if he wasn’t talking in rapid French, I might’ve have even understood what he and Leon were arguing about.

“That was Leon,” Nathan finally said as he sat back on his chair.

“Okay...” I wanted to know the details but I didn’t want Nathan to think that I was desperate. “What now?”

He yawned. “What? You don’t even look interested? That’s a downer. I was hoping he’d find you in distress. He’ll be unbelievably mad. Perhaps he’ll even punch me this time for real, try to kill me, hate me, especially hate me. Then he’ll sweep you off your feet and you’d both live happily ever after,” he scoffed rubbing his chin nonchalantly before finally turning to me. “Well, he’s coming for you.”

“Uh... so isn’t that a bad thing?” I mumbled. He just threw me a bewildered look like I just asked a crazy question. “Well, you had me kidnapped so—“

“Correction—I didn’t. But we couldn’t tell Leon that, can we? It would ruin my... bad reputation.” His musical laughter filled the room. “Seriously, don’t tell him.”

“Sure thing. We don’t want that,” I gave him a flustered nod. Now that was weird.

Before Nathan could argue with himself about how he could win the villain of the year award (metaphorically of course), I heard the sound of car engine from outside the house. Tires screeched angrily against the gravel path and by the way the engine revved furiously, the driver of the car (a. k. a. Leon) didn’t come for a diplomatic heart to heart talk.

As the corner of his perfect lips started to pull up to a casual smile, Nathan grabbed my hand, his eyes having a wild look about them.

“Right on cue,” he said grinning back at me as though he’s just opened a super awesome Christmas present in the middle of June. “Come Nerdy, the party starts now.”

Leon stood at the doorway eyeing glumly at us as we descended from the top of the staircase. If I wasn’t occupied with much panicking, I would have froze there for ten whole minutes just gaping at him. There was something not quite right with his clear blue eyes. Was it was worry or anger... or could it be that he cried? I never believed it possible. His shoulders were rigid and though I couldn’t see through the long sleeves of his midnight blue pull over shirt, I had a hunch that his hands were clenched. Without even trying, his dark hair was perfectly dishevelled, blown by the gentle wind.

As he trudged heavily toward us, I couldn’t help but catch my breath. Without so much as a warning, my cheeks turned warm.

“Brother,” Nathan let go of my hand and welcomed Leon with arms open and a warm smile lingering on his perfect lips. “Since when was the last time you visited me? Uh... never?” He chuckled with nothing but nonchalance as he folded his arms across his chest.