32|| Queen to H7

32|| Queen to H7

Hermione does not plan on meeting Tom until noon on Saturday, a notion that's usually ignored by his lurking presence around her for reasons unknown.  And yet, she truly does not see him until then, staying in her room to study for her N.E.W.T.S. whereas she expects Tom to be inhabiting the library.  She wishes to stay by his side, appreciative of his company in studying, but Hermione is fearful of their connection and recognizes it is healthy to have space from one another.  And thus, that is where she stays until a quarter till noon, only then mounting the stairs to the Room of Requirement and entering with the ease of her Slytherin stride.

Tom Riddle tends to be earlier, but then again, he also tends to constantly accompany Hermione.  So, to the extent it surprises Hermione not to see him waiting for her, she realizes it is not quite noon and the boy is greatly busy at this time.  Leaning against the back of the green, leather couch, her eyes revolve between the door and clock, her brow furrowing as noon passes and then progresses.  Tom Riddle is never late, but perhaps she thought this too soon.

It is near five minutes past when the door jerks open, unfitting of the Dark Lord yet revealing an even stranger vision of the boy himself.  Strutting in quickly, Tom Riddle rakes a hand through his unorderly hair, his ruffled clothes cleaning strangely to his chest and slightly wrinkled.  Hermione watches all these things with a baffled expression, his eyes finally meeting hers as he departs from his hurried reverie.

"I apologize for my tardiness," Tom says, seemingly too gruff to actually mean his words.  "I fell asleep in the library."

Hermione grins at Tom Riddle, taking evident joy in this display of humanity.  Before now, she expected the boy to be some mythical creature: always perfect in appearance and demeanor, and more powerful than the normal wizard.  Well, the latter still applies.  "It's quite alright, and I am very happy you did.  You're hair isn't perfect."

The Dark Lord scowls at her as he moves closer, taking to his typical distance from her form, too close for friends yet not quite intimate in distance.  They are in limbo, after all.

"Shall we duel today?" Tom questions, actually asking for Hermione's opinion in the new change of state where Tom does not control the fate of himself and his Knights entirely.

"Depends, who's Grindelwald and who's Dumbledore?" Hermione taunts from their discusson days prior, prompting Tom to roll his eyes though he appreciates her quick wit.  Pacing away from her in long stride, Tom turns on his heel, reassuring her preparedness for dueling in her defensive stance.  He is pleased by what he sees.

"Expelliarmus!" Tom shouts, the powerful magic at his disposal present in his spell.

"Protego!" Hermione's equally strong shield appears, disappearing as she sends an, "Incarcerous!"