Year 3 | Mischief Managed

"WHY DO THEY affect us so, Professor? I mean, more than everyone else

"WHY DO THEY affect us so, Professor? I mean, more than everyone else...?" Harry asked. The Potter twins and Professor Lupin were walking together once again. Their talks seemed to put both the twins and even Lupin at ease from their troubles for a little while. It was a dull winter day and the holidays were approaching. White snow caked the grounds surrounding the castle, the bridge was specked with frost and the sky was as bright as ever against the bright landscape.

Harry and Lily found a comfortable sort of refuge with Lupin, for they had many common grounds and the man knew their parents. So when they came to him with the hopes of expressions their feelings about the Dementors that had been searching for Sirius Black and their two encounters with them, one of which he himself witnessed, he obliged to talk to them.

"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They feed on every good feeling, every happy memory, until a person is left with nothing but his worst experiences." Lupin explained, "You two are not weak. The Dementors affect you most, because there are true horrors in your past. Horrors your classmates can scarcely imagine. You have nothing to be ashamed of."

Lupin, though he did not show or express it, also enjoyed talking to the children of his deceased best friend. He saw a lot of their parents in both of the twins and when he first met them, Lupin had to admit to himself that he was taken aback by their level of maturity. He only thought that it was a pity because they had faced so much horror and matured so soon in their young lives. He felt as though he had an obligation to help and protect Harry and Lillian, for their parents had done the same for him many, many years previously.

"I'm scared, Professor." Lily spoke up honestly.

"I'd consider you a fool if you weren't."

"We need to learn how to fight them. You could teach me, Professor. You made that Dementor on the train go away..." Harry began.

Lupin had recalled the night on the train and how the four Third Years had settled themselves in the compartment that he had occupied. He had been resting, with his cloak over his masculine figure as he rested, not slept, in the corner. Lupin had heard everything the friends had spoken about and needed not see Harry and Lily's faces to know when they spoke; he knew they may never believe it, but they were so much like their parents.

"There was only one that night..." The man objected.

"But you made it go away."

There was a pause.

"I don't pretend to be an expert, Harry, Lily. But yes, I can teach you. Perhaps after the holidays." He said wearily, "For now, though, I need to rest. I'm feeling... tired."

They turned and studied Lupin, realizing he did not look much too good; his face was haggard and he possessed a ghastly pallor. When they looked at him, he managed a weary smile and looked up. His light irises showed the reflection of Hedwig and Pepper as they flew in the sky.